Need info on Sabiki rigs

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Cheez, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    It seems that the Sabiki rig is the way to catch skipjacks. Could someone please inform me on the best ones to use,how to use them and where to get them. I have seen many different kinds on the net but don't really know where to start.
    Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

whatever it takes

Cheez

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You have to watch out when ordering them. On some brands the higher the number, the smaller the hook and on other brands it's the opposite.

Bass Pro Shops has them. Ebay is loaded with them.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use the white ones in all different sizes. Fortunate for me ,I can get them at my local bait shop

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i've noticed very little difference in them... some are made w/ a synthetic material instead of a seemingly real fish skin piece (which deforms when it dries)... Marathon makes a fairly cheap on that Dick's Sporting Goods sells (a buck a piece) as opposed to 3-5 for others... I'd go cheapest because unless you have a sabiki stick (hollow tube rod that allows the rig to be brought all the way in) your going to be junking the rig after every outing or untying massive tangles if you don't...

5. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i heered the ones with blood red hooks beat the bronze ones hands down.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I use the eagle claw ones,color didn't seem to make a big difference.Picked them up at a K-mart in fl. for .93 cents,don't think I'd ever spend 5 bucks,rather make them at that price.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cheez, I ordered some from catfish connection for $1.90 per set they come with 6 hooks. I havent received them yet and have never used them but when I get them in this is a couple of ways I have been told to rig them. 1. Top Sargeant tells me he will split the rigs into sets of 3 hooks then ties a rattle trap on the end. 2. Another tip I was told is to leave them as they come and tie a curly tail jig on the end to run behind them. Hope that helps.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Sorry for the double posts guys. I posted 2 days ago and when it didn't show up here yesterday I thought I did something wrong so I did it again.
    Thanks for the info. I believe I'll go to Bass Pro this evening to see what they have.

whatever it takes

Cheez

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Be sure to check your state regulations if you don't already know how many hooks you are allowed per pole. Sabiki's are ok in a lot of states, but they are not, for example, in Missouri (3 hooks per pole) or Kansas (2 hooks per pole).

10. brokennet

brokennet New Member

State:
    alabama
    Howdy cheez, I was wondering how you were using the sabiki rigs you wanted to know about? Because if you are fishing them straight down from boat or bridge etc. you can make your own really cheap, but if you are trolling them or casting them I think you should buy them. here is a cool site where I buy most of my fishing tackle Atlantic and Gulf Fishing Supply . com , I make mine with 4lb carbon leader I use a bell weight tied to one end then I tie a overhand knot with a 3 to 4 inch loop above the weight about every 5-6 inches apart, on the loop I thread it thru a small gold hook (works best for me) size 10 or smaller add as many hooks as you can handle, bait with your favorite stuff. Brokennet