Need info on dodge tranny problem

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by jeffjbeard, Sep 17, 2008.

1. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Have a 94 1500 pickup with 318 with overdrive. If you shut the overdrive off it seems fine but when its on and u get up over 40mph it stops pulling.Had one person tell me it might be the torque converter solanoid has gone bad. anyone know anything about this type of problem and yes iI know most people say it because its a Dodge but I do not have any options right know but to fix it. Thanks Jeff

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    hmm. never heard of that problem. hard telling im not to familar with the dodges. im sure someone on here can help you though

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    When you say torue converter solanoid, do you mean the Lockup solanoid? If so, I would think the tranny would continue to work, just wouldn't lock the Torque converter, causing higher engine rpms and a buildup of heat with the TC slipping. Sounds like you may have lost Overdrive. Probably time to take it to a shop. I'm not sure which model years were affected, but Dodge had a lot of tranny problems for a few years. It may be something simple like a vacuum line leaking or come off. If it ends up needing a tranny rebuild i would take it to a shop that can upgrade the parts and make it more reliable than Dodge did.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    :big_smile::cool2:a shop can put a little handheld meter on it and tell you what is the problem but hopefully thy dont diagnose it as needin rebuilt cuz ur lookin at 1700 hundred bucks at least that was what my bill was because while under there thy found that all the u joints where bad its 4 wheel drive