need info -- New River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by rogers7, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Any place to catch good cats around the New River Gorge area..Fayetteville????

Going there in August and was hoping there is some good bank fishing spots. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bump...I'm waiting to hear a good answer, too. This is truly a beautiful stretch of river.

I have heard that you have to be careful about rafters when fishing, though. It's best to scramble and get all lines out of the water whenever you see rafts coming. Some outfitters (river runners) think they own the river, and won't think twice running you through the ringer if you get in their way.

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    good luck!! shane

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    put on a nice big treble with 100lb test an reel em in!!! lol:wink:

5. whiskerchick

whiskerchick New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi all, I was curious about this same question. Although I've never fished the New River I have rafted it 6 times, the Gauley River 3 times. We used to go the second weekend in April every year, the water was COLD but BIG! Once we drove down to the river to see the rapids before we rafted and the switchback road going down to the river was truly terrifying. The roads the River Runners use to take the bus down are bad enough, some of the curves are so tight that the bus has to back up...hanging the tail end right out over the edge of the gorge. Those roads are probably better but I don't know if they are private property of the various outfitters or not. The road we took we got directions from a local.

The shoreline for the most part is lined with huge boulders, some of them are small house sized. There is one rapid in particular called Iron Ring, it's named after a large boulder with an old iron ring hammered into it where they used to tie the log rafts when they floated lumber down the river. Also, there is a big boulder named Rattlesnake Rock, named for the many rattler's that sun themselves on it.

I do know that in the spring and when the river is running big they use the large rafts that hold 8 people and a guide. In the summer when the snowmelt is gone they use small one man inflatable kayak like boats called duckies. I've never been down the New in the summer when the water volume changes, could mean there are more pools, but also since the water is lower maybe harder to fish from the shore.

We always ran with Class 6 River Runners and they did offer what they called float fishing trips down the New River.

Either way it is absolutely beautiful there. If you are interested there is a really cool old ghost town along the New River it's called Thurmond. Was an old coal mining boom town, with a huge old hotel and many buildings that were still standing. If you google it and search images you'll see what I mean.

Hope my long winded post helped, I'll be tuning back in to see if there are catfish in the New River!
    Linda

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great post, Linda. Welcome to the BOC! :0a25: