Need Info - New River

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by rogers7, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Any place to catch good cats around the New River Gorge area..Fayetteville????

Going there in August and was hoping there is some good bank fishing spots. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm sure there are many places on the NEW that would be good for catting around the Fayetteville area. However, access may not be all that great unless you don't mind doing a bit of hiking.
    From Anstead, you can go down under US60 at the police station and follow the road down to Hawksnest Lake. There you may want to go toward the dam and the creek tributary that's close to it. In the other direction....toward the railroad bridge, you may want to try around the bridge piers. ( The bridge has a walkway on it, so trains don't get ya. )
    It also provides access to the other side of the lake if you see something you like. Then, either side of the lake heading back toward Fayetteville and New River Bridge, it's your choice of any spot you desire to get to by hiking either side of the river on the tracks. On BOTH sides you will also find camping shanties That may be of help to you gaining access. Some of these shanties are very nice and occupied, while others are in poor shape and usually abandoned most of the time, yet can be useful for shelter or just hangin out.
    Then from the New River Bridge......take the road down under it to the river. Here again, either side, the railroad will be your access to your choice of spots in either direction. However, you will be dealing with passing rafters. I don't see them being a problem at night or even in daytime, but I generally avoid them because I fish from my boat.
    Back at Hawksnest Lake, during the day time, till about 6:00pm they run a tourist jet boat about every half hour or so. That tends to create some nasty waves.
    There are a lot of very deep shaft type holes all up the river from the dam to the bridge. They show up well on the depth finder and are generally located in the center of the river channel. They were drilled by geologists trying to determine the age of the river and underlying rock formations. They appear to be great hide outs for very big cats or other fish.
    Enjoy your trip and catch a bunch of 'em

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Reps to you, Cecil, for an outstanding post! I will put this one on file for the next time I travel out Hawk's Nest way.

That is truly a beautiful area. Anstead has a special place in my heart, as I was always excited about passing through there as a child on the way to my grandparents. I don't have much reason to pass that way now, but I will most likely as a pilgramage of memories.

4. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    That is some detailed information....THANKS!!!! I will let you know how I do....will be up there for about 4 days first part of August.

Once again thanks for all the help.

Chris