Need info for moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by snooker_hooker, Jun 11, 2006.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    I have not been out in a few months. i am going this thursday and i would like any info to get a few cats. I only have one day before i go out on patrol for 60 days, and would like to make the best of my day out on the water. any info would be great. i cant go at night and will be on the water at 530am. i was thinking about drifting around the lake in several of my spots with herring. where can i get some live bait? thanks

2. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey Snooker,get you some worms or crickets and find some sandy botton in the canel and you can catch some whit perch and bream there.If you got a throw net hit the little pockets of the canel.I don't know of any place that sells live bait other than herring. I may be wrong,but I don't think so.Good luck,hope you catch a boat load.Let us know how it goes.:big_smile: :big_smile:

3. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i was going to buy some herring and use jigs, and sabiki rigs for some live bait for cut bait. what depth are they at now.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, I bought live herring last week at Harry's, and I feel sure Black's will have them. Atkins may have some, but I'd call them first to be sure. We caught some last week drifting the humps in moultrie with herring and perch, but there wasn't much size to them. Maybe some of the bigger ones will be there now.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nick,
    Fished out of Hills thursday and friday night and they had plenty of herring for sale. Also we had no trouble catching all the perch we needed out of the canal in less than a hour using red worms and small bream hooks. Caught a good mess of blues thursday night but didnt get a single hit friday night. Ive got to where I really hate fishing within two or three days of a full moon for catfish !!! A lot of boats fishing the canal friday night.....looked like stepping stones trying to pick your way through !!

6. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    thursday i will be out early and will try drifting all over i have all day. i want 2 10 lb for a fry and ill be happy. i have not had a fry in a long time. thanks for the info. if you have any more keep t coming. ill be out to sea for a long time so this will be my day.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ken, I have the same problem lots of times with the full moon and fishing at night.
    Nick, you should be able to drift the humps like you were talking about, and catch some fish. The perch are easy to catch, too, but when we were there the cats seemed to prefer the herring a little better. Also, you could try near the dike, wind permitting. There may still be some spawners in those areas.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tommy,
    The herring was certainly being hit better than the perch with us thursday night also. I had a old man that makes his living on the Savannah river fishing tell me about the catfish shutting down during this period of the moon phase. At first , I thought it was a crock.....but over the years and through many unsucessfull catfishing trips on the full moon.....I now am a beliver. Although I still go when asked (reluctently) and usually regret it. I think I may try again this weekend if I can find a place to stay. How is Harrys ? Havent stayed there before and my usual places are booked up. May have to try my luck in the diversion canal, that many boats had to be there for a reason

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ken, Harry's is pretty good, as is Black's. I haven't stayed at Canal Lakes in a long time, but as far as I know they are ok, too. July 4th holidays are coming up, so I imagine all of the camps will be crowded for awhile. I shouldn't be too long before the mussels start breaking loose; then the channel in front of Harry's and down into the canal will be a good place for fishing.:smile2:

10. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    snooker_hooker, we had good luck last month drift fishing near the 'hatchery'. cut herring was getting hit on the depth changes.

11. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    where between the hatchery and pinoplous. i have only fished the channel there for perch in the hatchery. i hope this weather does not mess things up. i have been looking forward to this day for months. is anybody else going to be out there on thursday. thanks for the info.

12. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    we headed straight from Bonneau Beach toward the Hatchery and drifted back out. Sorry. it was my first trip to Moultrie, can't give more info.....

13. fishfindersc

fishfindersc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    snooker-hooker, fish are still biting during the day drifting in 20-30ft. Good catches still coming just about any where at that depth. The south west corner of Moultrie out from west dike continues to be especially productive. Both herring and perch will get a bite but herring may be just a little better for more bites.
    Good luck,
    Jim