Need info "electric shock" night crawlers

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Beaver, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    will you guys please tell me,
    how you shock night crawlers to bring them out of the lawn...
    and how do you rig up your shocking equiptment.

I have a nice big, very grassy, front lawn, and when it rains,
    I always see big night crawlers.

Thanks for your help,

HARRY

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is a way that you can do this, "IT IS NOT REAL SAFE" Get 2 screwdrivers,a drop cord,(a long one) hook one wire to each screwdriver, white on one ,black on the other, push screwdrivers into the groung about 3 ft. apart, get away from them ,and plug it in for about 5 mins, then UNPLUG it and go get your worms..........Do this at your own risk, I'm not telling you to do this ,just how it can be done.

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have "heard" you can use brass welding rod also. Also a crank army surplus field telephone.

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jeff ,those will work, I'm just to lazy to crank the phone........

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can also use a battery charger set at 15 amps and run you a cable about 25 feet from the other stick rod of choice in the ground at point A and the other one at Point B and turn charger on. Those little buggers can't stand that DC running thru their house. BTW this also works on running moles out of the area.
    I use if in a hurry my truck and run straight off the battery. You won't get enough feed back to hurt anything in the truck or charger.

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
  7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    get urself metal rods,car battery and jumper cables...that should do the trick

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    We use to shock them up when I was a kid with a homemade rig. It got to where we couldn't get anymore to come up. I don't know if we got all of them or run them off. Has anybody else had this happen?

ST

9. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    it would pay off wen u get those worms to the top, but it doesnt sound to safe to use.:crazy:

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll have to try that on moles. I am being overrun by those critters...

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Will this catch my wall outlet or my wiring on fire if I do this?

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i'm not an electrician. don't know how safe this really is. i have done it for years, no injuries yet.
    get an extension cord, cut off female end. seperate the wire on the cut off end about 6 inches. strip ONE (1) wire about 3 inches.

get a metal rod, length isn't critical, i use about 3 ft. make an insulated handle, a piece of rubber hose 6 in long and electrical tape will work, or drill a hole the size of the rod in the end of a piece of broom handle.

stick the rod in the ground. take the ONE ( 1) stripped wire, wrap it around the rod, secure with tape.

plug extension cord into outlet. hold the handle on the rod. you should feel a slight vibration. if you don't feel a vibration UNPLUG EXTENSION CORD.
    take the wire off the rod, cut off stripped part of the wire. tape end of that wire so no metal is exposed.

use the OTHER WIRE. strip it back and hook it to the rod like you did the first one.

once you figure out which wire to use use a hose clamp or something to secure it to the rod a little more permanent.

wear shoes when you use this, or you will feel a little tingle in your toes

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    First DO NOT USE 120 Volt house current, that can be dangerous.

I have this generator from an old military field phone. It puts out 90 volts AC (low amperage) and it's harmless other than it can shock the living tar from you. :tounge_out:

I use a couple metal rods stuck in the ground a few feet apart wired to the generator. A few cranks on the generator will bring them up, especially just after watering the yard.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have the one my dad made years ago. He took a rod about two feet long, wrapped one side of an extension cord around it, wet the lawn down good then stuck it in the ground and went in the garage and plugged it in for a short then unplugged it and went and picked up worms. I usually just wait until it rains then go pick up a whole bunch and keep them in my fridge in the shed. Just got me an old fridge so now I can start again. I gave my other one to a friends son who need one, his went out so a little cleaning and some baking soda and poof he has a fridge now, it was a biggie, my new one is a small five footer tall and about two foot square.

15. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    We had one when I was growing up. It seems like it was just one rod; not sure how it worked with one rod but the worms would come up and the dog would dance!

16. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Assuming that you will be using standard U.S.A. electricity, i.e. 120v 60 cycle AC current. (AC current being the important point here) you can hook a wire from the hot leg of you outlet to a probe (make sure it has an insulated handle). Just stick it in the ground. One wire is all you need. This may be illegal. An can be dangerous if common sense is not used.

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    The one I saw a guy using had one wire off th hot side of an outlet and he just wired and taped it to a steel rod with a wood handle over the wire and tape glued on. He would water the lawn, push in the rod and then plug it in. He would wait about 5 minutes unplug it and then pick up the worms. After doing this a few weeks and getting shocked once big time he said that the worms never recovered from the shock and would slime up and die. My advice is not to do this and just buy in bulk from one of the suppliers on line or even Cabela's or Bass Pro. Some times saving money just isn't worth it.

18. d1d1d

d1d1d New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As kids, we would simply wait until a rain or water the lawn
    and then drive a metal stake (1") about three feet into the ground.
    At dark, after catching all we could, we would then bang on the
    stake with a metal rod for a minute and then catch more. The
    horseshoe-stake type vibrations would bring up crawlers.

19. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    It got to the point where I could not catch themdue to bad joints and artritis, so I made a shocker.
    I ran a single #10 solid copper wire to a 6 foot copper ground rod, attached the wire to one side of a 110 plug. I used a one and half inch dowel rod for a handle.
    I have pulled it from the ground with the power on and moved it, being careful not to touch the copper. I have used this for five years with no trouble but I am aware what I am using and I am careful.