NEED IMPUT ON MONO LEADERS

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Jan 27, 2009.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm looking into changing from tying knots to crimping my pre-rigged leaders. Anybody crimp their leaders and like that better than knot tying? I was rigging some leaders yesterday, and the idea hit me to maybe change over to crimping. I use 80 lb. Ande, no fun tying knots w/ that stuff. Any thoughts or info appreciated.

Thanks,
    TNVOLCAT

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't use 80# mono leaders but I snell all of my hooks. I use 40# Berkley Trilene Big Game for my leaders with 65# Power Pro main line.

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glenn, that's what I'm doing is snelling them. They work good, I'm just slow at it!

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Maybe you could use a lighter leader that's easier tie? Like 50lb mono? Just another thought. What size is your mainline?

I think that you'll be fine with crimping. The crimp's not going to spook fish any more than a bulky knot in 80lb mono will. The crimp will probably be less noticeable, really.

If you're going to do it, invest in a good set of crimp pliers and quality crimps. Don't try to get by with a pair of channel-locks and just mashing them flat.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i do both but when i crimp i use cup to cup crimpers they're less damaging to the mono are you using double sleeves?

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't bought any of the stuff for crimping yet. I was just looking for imput on it.

Thanks!

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, I use 100 lb. Power Pro mainline and just switched to 80 lb. Ande leaders.

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Brandon, I do both. I'll show you what I use next weekend down at the CC. Then you can decide which you like...

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cool, I was thinking that you rigged like that and hoped you might chime in, just couldn't remember for sure.

Later

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    good lord you guys after sharks ??? thats some heavy outfitting and rigging lol

you guys fishing the mighty mississippi ??? with 20 ounce sinkers or sumthin ???

just curious is all not making fun just thats some serious riggins

:crazy::eek:oooh:

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Scott, 100 lb. power pro has the same size diam. of 20 lb. mono. So, it casts great and lasts a long time. As for the 80 lb. leaders, I thought what the hay, I'm not out for a challenge. It's a challenge enough to locate them and hope they bite. So, if I get bit I want the fish in the boat! lol!

12. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro