Need ideas

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Kutter, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I am wanting to build something, but I have no idea what the name of it would be. It's like a 2 X 4 ft gable roof mounted to two 4x4 posts. This will be to hang 4-6 bird feeders in the winter and a hummingbird feeder along with some plants in the summer. I want all of those to be covered by the roof. Is there a name for such a thing? Anybody got any pictures of similar so I can pattern mine after them?

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    I have seen similiar items which i deemed homemade but i believe there called birdfeeder troffs? maybe? just trying to help...I think it would be pretty nice for the birdies though

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks for the idea. However, when I googled it, I found nothing even close. Most were feed or water troughs for bird cages.
    If you can picture a pavilion in a park that has a picnic table, think much smaller. My idea is roughly 2 ft by 4 ft. roof, similar to the pavilion idea.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Lettme look in my books Tom. If i can find anything i'll send it to ya.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir, know just what you are describing, how ever I can not send ya a picture until I run to our camp site, we have two of them to cover the fire wood, about 6 foot long each and the roof area is 4' (2' on each side set on a simple 4x4 center and two 4x4 poles at each end. Just about like you see in some state parks that cover the signs or a single bench.?

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Tom, maybe that would be a small arbor? I like that idea a lot and may just have to make Judy one of them. We love to feed the birds and little hummers. Are you talking about the kind that would be over a wishing well maybe? If you could, would you post some pictures when you get yours built?

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I would be happy to post pic's as soon as I can build it.
    Randy, that is exactly what I am talkin about. I can see it in my mind, but building it from what few brain cells I have left? Not an easy task without an actual picture to go by. Ah, the good old days when I had a memory. At least, I've been told they were good old days.:wink:
    I too love watching the little hummers all summer. I got a big kick last winter with all the hundreds of birds that came to my feeders. Problem is, they came mainly because I had to cut down and pile up 11, 12-20 inch diameter, cedars, which happened to be 15-20 ft away from the feeders. They lived in that pile all winter, only coming out to feed it seemed. lol ( note to self, never pile cedar where you intend to plant tomatoes):sad2:

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    make sure you squirrel proof the 4x4 posts.
    i would put pvc pipe over the post or some alumim flashing around them so they can't climb.
    food for thought..

moose