need ideas?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by nightfisher-07, Jan 11, 2008.

1. nightfisher-07

nightfisher-07 New Member

State:
    PA
    well guys, i just went ahead and bought a new jon boat(1436), pick it up wednesday. im not sure what i want to do about the flooring. i want it to be level for walking on. i dont want any wood for flooring at all. i was thinking maybe cutting dense(hard) foam and sticking between ribs, then laying a heavy duty mat on top. not sure if it would fly out on the highway or not, it would be a pretty heavy mat. what do you guys do for your jons. picture would be nice. thanks guys

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    aluminum treadplate with the matt glued to it would work good.

3. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    glue rubber to the bottom for noise? couldnt the metal bend between the ribs?

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I put down 1" closed cell foam in between the ribs and then laid aluminum over that, very solid, deadens floor works great if you can get the aluminum. and no the sheets don't bend in between the ribs. Sorry a pic wouldn't do much good it is covered with carpeting.

5. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    the matt ontop so its not slippery and easy to wash off with a hose. the tread plate only would be slippery and sunlight would reflect bad. also there are alot of like bed linner stuff u can just brush on anymore ask your local auto parts store about them or marine dealer. but i bet the matt will be less exspensive. worth checking into tho

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes and I would agree with Scott on the brush or spray coating, I went with carpet back then and I'll just say that this summer it IS coming out and the liner type material is going in, altho I could see the mat, like horse mats, at the farm store or even the stuff they have for putting on the shop floor may work also. Thanks Scott I am going to look into that a bit more now that you mentioned it. :wink:
    Randy

7. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    do you guys have the metal plates riveted or something on there or do you just lay them down, couldnt they blow out?

8. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    i wouldnt use rivet myself i would use stainless steel screws easier if u ever needed to take it back out i dont think it would take many screws either and from time to time make sure they are tight u be fine.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I put it down with floor pins, like putting in a rivet but it has an aluminum or stainless screw that you secure with.(your choice) you drill the hole and then it goes in like a rivet instead of the nail snapping off it screws out leaving a thread post that sets below the surface so everything stays flat, (they work great) then you add the new screw to the thread base. a little tight lock and they have not worked loose in 6 years.

10. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    ill have to look in to that. thanks randy

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Check out the members library and boat modification journals. There are alot of great ideas and "how to's" in there.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Weight Nazi, here...

A 1436 has a weight capacity of around 675#, which sounds like plenty, until you do the math.

Nissan 15hp, short shaft, manual start: 115#
    Two fully clothed men, and their gear: 500# at least. Fatboys like me would run that total up.

Now add an anchor or two, fuel, ice chest, and all of the assorted impedimentia that we find essential, and you're right there. Still no seats, trolling motor, battery, etc.

I would throw a couple of chunks of carpet in, to deaden noise, and call it good.

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well, here's what i did with my 1448. I went to the local county roads department and asked them for some old street signs. I ended up with 2 bridge crossing signs (the kind that tell trucks the weight capacity of smaller bridges) for free. The signs i got were 4x4. I had them sheared to the correct size for free by a family member and used an electric jigsaw to cut out for the ribs. I next put some weather stripping down on the ribs to keep the signs and ribs from rubbing together, then used Stainless screws through the aluminum and into the ribs. I bought some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes and used Stainless finish washers and screws to secure the carpet to the aluminum signs. This was VERY cheap, and VERY light. It flexes some, but not enough to cause trouble (heck i'm 250# on a good day, so if it holds up to me, it'll hold up in the long run). The most expensive part was the carpet, and you could always use rubber mats or some kind of vinyl.

14. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    thanks for all the feedback guys