Need ideas where to fish, I live in Harrisonburg, Va

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bsites9, Jul 3, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Hey everybody. Anybody have any ideas on Lakes to fish somewhat close to harrisonburg, Va? I mainly go for keeper size cats. I'm basically talking lakes (since i posted it here, and plus i don't have a boat). I recently fished Sherando Lake, you probably saw the post. We caught some, but had to leave there by 10:00 at night. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Bryan, as far as I can tell, you are, like me, fairly restricted as far as lake fishing goes. The closest would probably be Todd Lake and Sand Lake in the national forest; the local VDGIF-listed lakes for Harrisonburg aren't worth much by their own admission. Skidmore Reservoir is a lovely place, but VDGIF reports that the fish are quite small.

I have fished Lake Frederick and consider it a prime location. Lake Arrowhead is also supposed to be a good place (Page County). Both would be somewhat of a drive for Harrisonburg.

The best bet overall would probably be the Shenandoah River now that the fish kill is well behind us (fingers crossed).

4. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Yeah, I've fished the river plenty, but..I usually go for keepers, so that rules that out, plus, for the longest time i've caught nothing but the little mud cats out of the river. SO i was just wonderin if anybody had any personal luck anywhere else. Most other lakes around here won't let you fish after dark, or an hour after sundown. And I think Lake Frederick is a little too far for me to go. But thanks for the response.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yeah, I suppose if you're going to make the trek all the way to Lake Frederick, you might as well head for Douthat or Lake Moomaw! :eek:oooh: