Need idea for real

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatSlayer715, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I need a baitcasting reel that can hold 40 lb + line for around the $50 range, new or used.. What kid of ideas? I got a catfish nite stick heavy rod.. suggestions?? Oh yea, i'll be fishing in a river out of a boat. Probably drifting or anchored.

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Well, in that $$ range.... If you're fishing braided line, you can get by with a much smaller reel than if you're using mono. I'm going to guess that you're going to use mono and that you want a couple hundred yards of line.... You'd be looking at the Penn 209 reels, the Shakespeare Tidewaters or Arsenals for new reels, maybe the Penn GT/GTi, Daiwa Sealine, Shimano Triton Levelwinds (used reels).

You can use an Abu 6000/6500 series reel, but with 40lb mono, you MIGHT be able to squeeze 100 yds on it if you use a thin diameter mono. I want more than 100 yds of line a reel, JMHO.

3. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    thanks bud. Anyone else got any more suggestions??

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 6500s are for sale at wally world I think for $60 cant remember though.. its somewhere in that category:wink:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Look around for a Garcia 7000 used, e-bay, pawn shop, etc... The drags will be better, and the capacity is larger.. I use'm with 50# Mono,, seems OK.
    They're $$$ new, but, you can find deals..
    I wouldn't spend my $50 on much other than one of those , or a Penn....or comparable size ,, and specs..,,,IMO

6. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    You can buy a Abu Garcia Amb. 6600bcx through Cabela's for around that price right now. I would also search eBay, I just picked up a new okuma contoura cr-453cs on there for $60, and I also got a Abu Garcia 6600 cb from the same person for $55. The Okuma will hold a lot of line too. 20lbs/510yds, 25lb/380yds,30lb/290yds

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have a couple of tidewaters (tw30lb) and they work very well...

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    okuma classic 300l or pro 302l. they are around $30new the feel a little cheep but they hold up verry well cought many a 30#ers with mine and i run 40#mono

9. vinestbrew

vinestbrew New Member

State:
    pgh,PA
    Check out Penn jigmasters are you using braid or mono?

10. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    check out the penn 320 or 330 you can get them for 50 or 60 bucks used then spool it up with power pro and you will be very happy good luck

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Im an ABU guy thru and thru,but for 50.00.....Penn 309m.Best bang for the buck and can handle 40lb mono no problem.