Need help?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by BEHITJ, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Does anyone know how or can help me fill and bleed air on my Hydraulic steering it's getting sloppy and has some play in it.I kinda have an idea how to do it but I think it takes 2 people to do it.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Would depend on if you have Self contained system or Full power Hydraulic System.....

3. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    It's a self contained system no power.I think what you do is turn the wheel all the way one way and crack the bleeder then do the same the other way until all the air is out.But do you fill it as your bleeding it?And I'm not for sure which bleeder is for which direction of the turn of the wheel.I think they might be opposite.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Here is what my book says.......

'Self-contained System' Bleeding: After the
    Capilano
    ® helm is filled per the
    Capilano
    ® instructions and with the filler tube connected to the highest port on the helm, disconnect hoses on the cylinder farthest from the helm and connect together using a flare union. While keeping the filler tube half full so as not to allow air back into the system, slowly turn the wheel in one direction 25 turns. Reconnect hoses on cylinder and repeat for other cylinder. Reconnect hoses to cylinder.
    During the following bleeding process, keep the filler tube half full so as not to allow air back into the system. Turn the wheel hard-over in one direction. While holding pressure against motor in the hard-over direction turn the wheel in the opposite direction while cracking the cylinder hose fitting that is being pressurized. This is the port that is closest to the piston rod when the rod is extended and the port that is farthest from the piston rod when the rod is retracted. When almost hard-over in the other direction, tighten the hose fitting while still turning wheel so as to prevent air being re-introduced into the system. Turn the wheel hard-over in opposite direction, then repeat process for other cylinder.
    Repeat the bleeding at the cylinder ports until there is no air left in the system. Shake the motors to check for any play. When the motors do not move back and forth more than 1/16", the system is air-free.
    'Full Power Hydraulic System' Bleeding: Ensure that all hydraulic lines and fittings are securely tightened before starting the bleeding process. During the entire bleeding process, check the oil level in the steering reservoir regularly and top up when necessary. DO NOT LET RUN DRY ! Turn on the engine or engines that are fitted with a power steering pump and let run for a few minutes without touching the steering wheel. With the power steering pump(s) running, turn the steering wheel hard-over in one direction and release the wheel. With a bucket placed under one of the steering cylinders, crack the hose fitting that is closest to the piston. This is the port that is closest to the piston rod when the rod is extended and the port that is farthest from the piston rod when the rod is retracted. Allow the oil to leak out of the fitting until there is a solid stream of oil, then tighten the fitting. With the steering wheel in the same position, repeat this step for any other cylinders. Check oil level in reservoir and top if necessary.
    After tightening the cylinder hose fitting(s), turn the steering wheel 'hard-over' to the other side then release the wheel. Repeat the bleeding process at the cylinders as described above. Check oil level in steering reservoir and top if necessary.