Need Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Southwind, May 25, 2008.

1. Southwind

Southwind New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey fellows I am new to this sport fishing for "cats" I went with a friend of mine the other day and he was using a size 2 hook I thought this was kinda small but that what we used and cough several fish.
    But I would like to know what size and style hooks, kinds of bait, and the size of the bait, and how you rig your lines. Hope some of you guys will help a green newbie out. Thanks :big_smile:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would say it depends on the water you are fishing and the type of cats you are trying to catch. I primarily fish "big" water so I target big fish. I use any where from a 6/0-12/0 circle hook to catch these fish. The smaller fish have no problems getting on the 6/0 hooks either. I hope this helps you out.

3. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Welcome to the group Southwind. Have you tried looking in the Library section? It can tell you just about anything you would need to know. And don't worry, you'll get plenty of opinions on any subject on here!!:eek:oooh::big_smile: Hope this helps you out!
    Deb

4. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Hook size depends on a few things. I mainly fish the Mississippi river and use 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks exclusivley. If you are fishing for smaller cats but still want to be able to hang on to a bigger fish I would go with a 4/0 or 5/0 offset circle hook or the same size in a khale design. The kind of bait depends on your local natural food source. Most anywhere in KY shad, skipjack, suckers, bluegill and various other baitfish can be found and most play an active role in the diet of cats. Cut bait and live bait of the formentioned would be a good choice. Also don't forget some old standbys such as hotdogs, chicken livers, nightcrawlers and catalpa worms. How to rig your lines will depend on the water you will be fishing such as ponds, lakes, rivers, fast current, slow current, no current, depth and other things of that sort. There are numerous other baits out there that I haven't mentioned and if you do a little searching around the site you will find all sorts of good ideas for baits, sizes of hooks, how to rig them etc. The library would be a good place to start. Hope this helps and good luck.:wink:

5. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Go big.I use Garcia 7000 Reels , 7' Big Game Ugley Stick Rods , 30 LB Big Game Line , No Roll Sinkers in different sizes , Eagle Claw Khale or Circle Hooks in different sizes also. Big Baits eaither whole or cut up in big chunks. Even a small Catfish will have no problem. This sight will go into detail on all your questions. Read , Learn and Apply this information and have fun. Remember you don't have to have all the high priced outfits. Keep it simple to start. A decent Rod and Reel Combo , Good Line at least 20 lbs and some different sizes of hooks and sinkers should get you started. Hook up :smile2: with a friend that can help you on the different situations you will come across. I have found out that it's a ever learning quest and one that i enjoy very much.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC,

JUST POST YOUR ? AND SEE WHAT YOU GOT A WHOLE LOT OF INFORMATION THAT'S WHAT WERE ABOUT HELPING OUT OUR BROTHERS SO GOOD LUCK FISHING.

P.S. I WOULD NEVER USE ANY THING SMALLER THEN A 5/0 HOOK YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THAT BIG ONE GOING TO GET ON YOUR LINE????

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    For channels about anything will work. Bules and flats go big or go home.:smile2: