Need help

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by skawez, Feb 5, 2008.

1. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    :confused2: Ive decided to set up a new rod a reel when taxes come... since ive never had the ability to piece my rods together per say.. I need some help doing so. I mainly fish the missouri river for cats but i also fish the lakes for them too. ive always been fond of the ugly stick so since ive never owned one im going to get one just not sure how to figure out which one I should choose.. then it comes to a reel here i have no clue so help would greatly be appreciated i am looking for cats 25-60 lbs I know ill be using #6-8 hooks and maybe up to 10 oz of weight depending on the current.. as far as line? spider wire or mono? suggestions greatly appreciated thank you.:confused2:

2. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    try a big cat rod or a cat maxx from bass pro that is what camochris and i have been using for the last few years they are great rods and priced well to my big cat cost 39 from the local bait and tackle guy i think the cat maxx are the same as for reels we both just bought some penns i got the 320 gt2 they say they are good one i have not used them yet chris bought the 310 i think but that is something to look at anyhow

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    oh and also we do use 8/0 hooks with 8-10 oz of weight we fish the river 99.9% of the time so i hope this will help ya out

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jay said it,that will do about every thing.
    I some times use my heavy rigs to catch bream for bait.
    just use a blood knot to tie 10 lb line to 20 30 lb line.that way the bigger line don't spook the bait fish.

5. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    it does alot and workin in omaha bass pro is just 2 exits down from me..that works out good.. hopefully sometime ill see ya on the river and you can tell me.. NO thats not how its done...thank you

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    try cabelas whoopin stick ive caught halibut in alaska using a 8'6" rod and an okuma reel. if you go with the okuma reel use the saltwater epixor spooled with 30# suffix cant beat the braided theres almost no memory to the line.
    you can also buy the live bait model for the reel they cost about $100.00 at cabelas and come with an extra spool. perfect for long casts at rivers or lakes. for you leader use heavy swivels and snaps with the palomar knot on the braid and the improved clinch on the monofiloment. ( palomar was developed specialy for braided line ). reel also comes with one year warrenty.

7. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use big water ugly stick with 320gti penn reels. also 30#big game green line. i fish the river 90%of the time. hope this helps you on your decision.

8. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    For the money the bill dance combo is a deal. They have them at Bass Pro. I'ts a good stick and reel. Hey Larry i that woods bait shop in that pic. And did u catch any.

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
  10. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would have to agree with LiquidSteel. I own two ugly stik tigers and just love
    them. They should handle all your catfish needs. As for reels i fish with
    shakespeare tidwater reels, but i hear the abu's are great.

11. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yes it is woods an we cought 1 3 1/2 an lost one about 5# channel cat. was a good afternoon all in all. might be back out tomorrow.

12. houghty26

houghty26 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    that answered my first question