Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Need Help!!!

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  CBurns87 
#1 ·
Ok i have a question about gun laws and self protection here in Kansas. Ive looked it all up online but cant find the answer that im looking for. So heres the question:

If someone breaks into my house, do i have the oblity to shoot them, as to shoot to kill??

I know Jeff says i do, but at this point hes going to say to do whatever is goin to keep me and the kids safe. Some weird things have happened in the last few weeks here at my house so im trying to take as much percaution as i can. So any advice would be Great. Thanks everyone :D

#3 ·
Call up your local Sheriff or Police and ask to speak with an officer or the sheriff or chief of police. Ask them if they can try to keep an eye on your house more often if you think you or your family are in danger. In the end its up to the judge but if someone breaks in and is armed, just make sure they are well inside the door when you drop em.

#4 ·
The short answer is yes….
It does not matter where you are, if you or a family member feel your life is being threatened you have the right to protect yourself with what ever means necessary. Notify the local Police Department and make it known (for the record) that you have concerns " Some weird things have happened in the last few weeks here at my house".
Unless you know a cop, as in close friend, I would call the local District Attorney and ask them your question or a Attorney.
Hope this helps….stay safe.

#5 ·
Statute 21-3212: Use of force in defense of dwelling; no duty to retreat. (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that it appears to such person and such person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon such person's dwelling or occupied vehicle.

(b) A person is justified in the use of deadly force to prevent or terminate unlawful entry into or attack upon any dwelling or occupied vehicle if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or another. (c) Nothing in this section shall require a person to retreat if such person is using force to protect such person's dwelling or occupied vehicle.
KSA 21-3212: Use of force in defense of dwelling; no duty to retreat.

#8 ·
Before you go too far, a few things you need to think about. I'm assuming you already have a gun. Do you know how to function and handle the gun proficiently? (If it jams do you know how to clear it, can you hit what you aim at, can you load/unload it in the dark, and is it stored in a safe place where you and only you can get to it?) If you can answer yes to all of those questions, then the next question: Can you shoot someone? The easy answer is yes, but in a stressful situation where your scared to death and nervous, can you calmly and collectively handle the situation and pull the trigger? It will not be an easy thing to do and live with, I don't care who you are. For me I will protect my family to the death, but it is something that I don't take lightly. I do not ever want to have to take the life of another person, but I am capable if my family is threatened. Please think about these things seriously, because a loaded weapon in your house is more dangerous to your family if you are not prepared to use it properly.

#9 ·
Before you go too far, a few things you need to think about. I'm assuming you already have a gun. Do you know how to function and handle the gun proficiently? (If it jams do you know how to clear it, can you hit what you aim at, can you load/unload it in the dark, and is it stored in a safe place where you and only you can get to it?) If you can answer yes to all of those questions, then the next question: Can you shoot someone? The easy answer is yes, but in a stressful situation where your scared to death and nervous, can you calmly and collectively handle the situation and pull the trigger? It will not be an easy thing to do and live with, I don't care who you are. For me I will protect my family to the death, but it is something that I don't take lightly. I do not ever want to have to take the life of another person, but I am capable if my family is threatened. Please think about these things seriously, because a loaded weapon in your house is more dangerous to your family if you are not prepared to use it properly.
Yes i know how to use this weapon, load/unload, and unjam. it is stored where only i am able to get to it. As for the shooting part, ive already talked to Jeff about that and personally i dont think i could live with myself if i had to shoot someone. BUT if it meant shooting someone or my kids getting hurt, then yes i will use whatever means i need to keep them safe. I would rather just blow out a knee cap or 2 so he couldnt walk.

Ive just had people stopping thier cars out in front of my house and sitting there for a period of time talking and getting out walking around their car. Then ive heard the locked screen door try to be opened a couple times, and with jeff not here it scares the crap out of me. So i just wanted to cover my bases in case anything would to happen before Jeff came home or even after.

Thanks for all the answers :D It really helped.

#10 ·
Yes, the gun may be dangerous to you if you don't practice with it enough to
be capable with it at across the room distances. On the other hand, if you need
it, there is no replacement for it. Another point: if you fire the gun,empty it into
the intruder. Be certain to say that you were very frightened to the investigating
officers. If you blow him out the door, drag him back inside before the cops show
up. If you do these things, no one will have any difficulty with you dropping a
thief or rapist in your house. As others have said before me, don't let the intruder
live. He will get a lawyer and try to take everything you own. It's wrong, but
lawyers will do anything to make money regardless of whether it is or not. I know.
My sister is a lawyer. She is a merciless bitch in the courtroom. Prepare then act!

#11 ·
God forbid you ever have to shoot some one period! Now as far as killing them so they don/t talk or sue you , Well there family might do that anyway, If you try and drag someone you just killed back into your house don't you think the detecives would know this ? Its called tampering with evidence of homicied and it won't look good for you either, If you where to shot and kill anybody NEVER EVER talk to anybody intill you have talked to your lawyer first !!!!

#12 ·
As far as the shooting in the knee caps, forget it! If you feel you or your family is in danger a center body shoot is the way to go. It is the largest target available. Trying to shoot someones knee caps when your scared,nervous,shaking or what ever is not going to happen.If you have to shoot someone entering your home you better make it count or you may end up being the one that is injured or killed. Have you thought about securing your home better instead of a firearm. Motion lights,charlie bars, security system, etc? Just you saying You would rather shoot someone in the knee caps tells me your unsure about what you would really do. Shooting a intruder is a decision you need to have made in advance. A loaded weapon your not willing to use in a emergency situation is more of a liability than a asset. The next time you see something suspicious outside just call the police and let them check it out.

#13 ·
Yes i know how to use this weapon, load/unload, and unjam. it is stored where only i am able to get to it. As for the shooting part, ive already talked to Jeff about that and personally i dont think i could live with myself if i had to shoot someone. BUT if it meant shooting someone or my kids getting hurt, then yes i will use whatever means i need to keep them safe. I would rather just blow out a knee cap or 2 so he couldnt walk.

Ive just had people stopping thier cars out in front of my house and sitting there for a period of time talking and getting out walking around their car. Then ive heard the locked screen door try to be opened a couple times, and with jeff not here it scares the crap out of me. So i just wanted to cover my bases in case anything would to happen before Jeff came home or even after.

Thanks for all the answers :D It really helped.
When the adrenalin is pumping, you're scared/shaking, and especially if it's dark- forget about kneecapping someone. Aim for center mass, and keep firing until the trigger doesn't make things go boom anymore. When the bastard stops twitching, call 911.

In all reality, you're quite likely to have your own gun taken away from you and used on you unless you've taken a course in weapons retention. A lot of people get killed that way, including many in law enforcement. In the meantime, go to your local gun range and throw a LOT of lead downrange. See if they offer a proficiency class (some places offer special classes for women that may or may not include a self-defense course...if you can get into one of those, I highly recommend it).

Be creative: get a big dog bowl and put it on your porch- and get some of those "property protected by attack dogs/beware of dog" signs and put them on every entry door and gate on your property. Trim back your bushes around your windows, and install motion detector lights- good exterior lighting is your friend. Do you know your neighbors? Tell them what's been going on (use the concerned & friendly neighbor keeping an eye on things tactic as an excuse if need be) and let them know to call 911 if they see anyone who doesn't belong on your property, or any other suspicious activity. And pop in to your local PD and let them know shenanigans are afoot; ask them to step up patrols in your area and have them keep a close eye on things.

#14 ·
Surely there is someone from your area here. Maybe they sould be so kind as to help keep an eye out for you as well. I gotta agree with the masses, get a gun and learn to be competent with it. If someone is in your house and you feel in danger, shoot to kill. It is the only way to be certain this person can not hurt your family. Call the police and talk to no one until you speak to your attorney. Stay safe and do what is necessary to protect your home.

#15 ·
When the adrenalin is pumping, you're scared/shaking, and especially if it's dark- forget about kneecapping someone. Aim for center mass, and keep firing until the trigger doesn't make things go boom anymore. When the bastard stops twitching, call 911.

In all reality, you're quite likely to have your own gun taken away from you and used on you unless you've taken a course in weapons retention. A lot of people get killed that way, including many in law enforcement. In the meantime, go to your local gun range and throw a LOT of lead downrange. See if they offer a proficiency class (some places offer special classes for women that may or may not include a self-defense course...if you can get into one of those, I highly recommend it).

Be creative: get a big dog bowl and put it on your porch- and get some of those "property protected by attack dogs/beware of dog" signs and put them on every entry door and gate on your property. Trim back your bushes around your windows, and install motion detector lights- good exterior lighting is your friend. Do you know your neighbors? Tell them what's been going on (use the concerned & friendly neighbor keeping an eye on things tactic as an excuse if need be) and let them know to call 911 if they see anyone who doesn't belong on your property, or any other suspicious activity. And pop in to your local PD and let them know shenanigans are afoot; ask them to step up patrols in your area and have them keep a close eye on things.

Molly your advise is the best choice I have seen...Not to say everyone else's wont work but I dont think
having to take someone's life is something most people can't deal with.

Taking some precautions to prevent someone from entering your house makes more since.
I think the best home weapon is the old shot gun..You can be scared as shit and falling down and
still hit you target if needed.

#16 ·
Molly your advise is the best choice I have seen...Not to say everyone else's wont work but I dont think
having to take someone's life is something most people can't deal with.

Taking some precautions to prevent someone from entering your house makes more since.
I think the best home weapon is the old shot gun..You can be scared as shit and falling down and
still hit you target if needed.

Tom thats what i have my hands on...the 12G. But the best weapon in my choice would be jeff coming home and let him handle anything that god forbid should happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.