NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by tofish, Dec 8, 2009.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i can't make gravy! i've tried the adding flour, milk, ect. and comes out mushy. doing a turkey in the bag this yr. can someone help me? i've got my kids coming this christmas for dinner and want to do good.
    gary

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    flour.jpg They make a special kind of flour I think it's called shake and blend.
    I use that for my gravies and to thicken soup. You'll never go back to flour once you try it. I think pillsbury makes it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Hey Gary, here is a little trick for you bro. Cook that Turkey in the bag, it will fill up with juice, drain that juice into a bowl, to thicken up use flour. The trick in using flour is not to let it get lumpy. So do not add flour strait into the smoking hot gravy. This is where most go wrong and they end up with lumpy gravy. Take a cup of flour, and dump into a COOL two cups turkey juices, mix really really good, then heat up the rest of the turkey juice in a sauce pan. Once hot, start slowly stirring in the cool flour/water, until it thickens, stop every quarter cup to check for thickness. This stops lumpy and mushy gravy in its tracks. Another tip is to keep about another one cup of turkey juice, just in case you over thicken it, you can dilute it back down to the consistency you want.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,Almost foolproof to make turkey gravy,2 Tablespoons of fat from the turkey,Add 2 Tablespoons of CORN STARCH. Then add 3 Cups stock from the turkey ,or chicken stock,Stir over a med heat burner till thickened to your liking.