Need Help

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by robjmiller, Aug 13, 2009.

1. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    First time trying a cast net, does anyone have a tip and does anyone know what locations in the river to find shad?

2. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    do you need help with trowing it or just location of the shad?

3. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    both

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    make sure you gather the line up first so that it can be released with the net then make 3 or so neat folds into your hand that is holding the loops of line, then hold it with both hands and in a sweeping motion throw it into the water... takes a little practice but its not that hard....just make sure you have the end of the line tied around your hand so that you dont loose the net.....

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  6. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    yep thats the easiest way to throw oneand you don't have to put it in your mouth or throw it over your shoulder and get soaking wet, as for the shad ,usually in the creeks is where i find em

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I'm a cast net rookie as well. Thanks so much for posting that video. It sure opened my eyes to some of the mistakes I have been fighting with. :big_smile:

8. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    when i throw mine it usually ends up going into the water like a banana half bent but my friend i can still catch bait
    hit up your local marina or lake walk along the bank quietlu look around the big lites that shine on the water you will know when you find a school trust me

9. Fradd

Fradd New Member

State:
    ohio
    That video pretty much explained it, i did well today at a local boat ramp. The shad was chassing those little minnos around you can see them trying to escape and they jump out of the water.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I hear ya once it was explained to me by Bobbylee and I saw the video its easy as pie and it opens every time and Im not trying to heave it as hard as I can its a fairly simple motion.

Throw like that video and youll be catching more and faster:wink:

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
  12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Like He said. If you have to put it in your mouth, its like goin down on a dresden cheerleader. All black or green moss that gets in your teeth.

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: how would you know that skip:smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll have to post a video of me throwing it too, I have a different method than that video. No teeth or shoulder needed, and you don't wet at all.

Not to mention, once you get it down - you can throw it fast!

I ca't wait until I upgrade a few more feet and see how the throw works out with bigger nets.

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    dam:wink:

16. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've been wanting to get a cast net and i'm obviously new to this, so with that said this is probably a bumb question, are you guys cating blind for the bait, when i go out round cincy the water is usually pretty muddy, so am i looking for shad or just throwing and hoping? and can you see them or what signs am i lookin for?

btw thank for the link that helps me a lot!

17. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I am new as well, but I have recieved some good advice on here. It has worked too.

You want to find areas that they are knowm to frequent. It still may be "blind", but not completely. Also, as you mentioned, you look for signs. You can see them jumping out of the water. They may not be in that exact place, but they are sure to be somewhere nearby.

It's a "spray and pray" method, but in a smaller search area. :big_smile:

18. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I needed to post in this again to give a huge THANKS to Ryan. You/he may not have been the one to make that video, but he did post it.

I am now a shad God.:smile2:

My first cast with the new found insight, I netted about 18. In the 2 days fishing I nabbed around 5 dozen shad, on probably no more than 6-8 casts.

A big thanks to those giving advice on where to look for them as well. But, I definately cannot forget the help from the video maker himself. It sure makes the fishing trips a lot better, when you actually have some bait to fish with.:big_smile:

I even was able to bring some fresh frozen home for another time. I could have easily netted at 2x's as many as I had...and then some...with very little effort. The BOC has supplied a great service.