need help

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by rasmotherman, Jul 25, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have a paper bag full of green peppers so of course i want stuffed peppers. i have never made them so i looked online. all i can find is this fancy stuff. do i just make it like meatloaf or is it different?

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Rick.....normally stuffed pepper filling is similar to meatloaf yes, but it uses rice. I like the following recipe; it's from my favorite healthy homestyle cookbook. However, you may use ground beef, white rice, and regular cheese if that's what you have on hand.

2 large green peppers
    8 ounces ground turkey breast
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup recipe-style stewed tomatoes (with juices)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Bring water in a large saucepan to boil. Meanwhile, cut the peppers lengthwise in half. Remove and discard the stems, seeds and membranes.
    Carefully, place the peppers in the boiling water for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the peppers and invert them onto paper towels to drain well. (Or just forego all this and stick 'em in the microwave for a few minutes :wink:.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray an unheated large skillet with no-stick spray. Add the turkey and onions. Cook over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. (If using ground beef, drain grease.)

Stir in the rice, tomatoes (with juices), tomato paste, Worchestershire sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Place the pepper halves in an 8"x8"x2" baking dish. Spoon the meat mixture into the pepper shells. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake about 10 minutes or until heated through.

Catgirl note: All the stuffed pepper recipes I've ever tried call for precooking the filling. Someone else may be able to make a suggestion for using raw meat filling; imo you would have to bake those a bit too long in order to get it done and your peppers would be mushy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009

3. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    She nailed it, Rick! That's the way to do it. Enjoy them!

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    thanks. i will be making this tomorrow and will let ya know if i ruin it:wink:

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    just finished eating my stuffed peppers they were great. i didnt have all the ingredients so i had to improvise but they turned out great. thanks again

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    And now for the better easier way............
    Take any recipe you wish for your meatloaf style filler. The rice filler ones seem to work best.
    Stuff your peppers. Put them in a pot big enough to hold them. We use a turkey roaster and make three or more dozen. Any way, toss 'em in your pot and just flood them with V-8 juice (or a cheaper version, but NOT straight tomato juice) put a lid on 'em and let 'em do a slow boil on top of the stove for an hour or two.

Do the same for cabbage rolls. works awesome and tastes better than ones done in an oven.

7. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Cecil, welcome to the B.O.C.

That does sound pretty good, and a little different,

the Cabbage Rolls sound good too.:big_smile: