need help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishman352007, Feb 5, 2009.

1. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    i need help rewireing my boat ive got a 75 hp johnson and im not sure bout the wireing situation can someone anyone give me some advise? my boat is a 1965 seacrest

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Kevin, are you just rewiring the accessories - lights, bilge pump, etc, or are you working on the wiring harness for your motor?

3. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    wireing harness from motor to ignition switch and whatever else is hooked up from the back of the boat to the steering colom
    :confused2:

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
  5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Do you need to replace the harness for the motor?

I've never worked on a '74, but if it has a wiring harness with a plug on the motor end and then each wire terminates on the key switch (with maybe an extra wire or two going to the tach, kill switch, etc) there are a couple of ways you could do it.

If the wires close to the plug are good, you could cut them one at a time and solder/heat shrink new wires on, making sure the wires are the length you want and then do a wire for wire swap at the ignition. I'm not a fan of that method, but it's cheap and if you take care on the soldering and waterproofing, you'd probably be ok.

Other method is to try and find a harness or controls with the harness on eBay or a boat salvage place. I have a set of controls for a 1980 Evinrude 75 in the garage. If you do the research and they will match your motor, I can get them to you for a little bit of nothing. I switched mine over to center console and installed binnacle controls so the old controls and wiring harness are just taking up space.

Good luck!

Branden

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Do you need to replace the harness for the motor?

I've never worked on a '74, but if it has a wiring harness with a plug on the motor end and then each wire terminates on the key switch (with maybe an extra wire or two going to the tach, kill switch, etc) there are a couple of ways you could do it.

If the wires close to the plug are good, you could cut them one at a time and solder/heat shrink new wires on, making sure the wires are the length you want and then do a wire for wire swap at the ignition. I'm not a fan of that method, but it's cheap and if you take care on the soldering and waterproofing, you'd probably be ok.

Other method is to try and find a harness or controls with the harness on eBay or a boat salvage place. I have a set of controls for a 1980 Evinrude 75 in the garage. If you do the research and they will match your motor, I can get them to you for a little bit of nothing. I switched mine over to center console and installed binnacle controls so the old controls and wiring harness are just taking up space.

Good luck!

Branden