need help with the pen 209

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kc river kid, May 28, 2009.

1. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    my new pen 209 is not working the thing that guides the line on to the spool is caching and not going back and forth anyone now anything about this reels??

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Alan 1st off if it,s new i would return it to store i got it from. If it a older reel just new to u i would think about just removing the level wind an us your thumb to level the line ,with L.w REMOVED YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CAST FARTHER WITH PRACTICE . Just my thoughts

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    did you try ajusting it id assume it has a knob with a spring on it on the right side you can ajust but not too tight. tighten it till it bearly wiggels. make shure the paw is screwed in tight after all that if its still not working something may be wrong with it.

4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I hope those are good reels I bought 1 used, it looked pretty tough to me. as far as your problem goes I think you have the advice already. Hope iit works out for you

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    You might also check the set screw..

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    AwShucks, just throw the darn thing away. Actually, throw it in my direction. It is a minor problem. Get with an old time fisherman in your locality and he can and will probably fix your problem. But remember, if you throw it away, throw it my way. LOL

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    all your reel needs is a new pawl and a good cleaning.cheep fix and its a dern good reel.may need a new worm gear to.

8. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    The level wind on one of my 209s was binding when I got it , I found that the line guide was a rubbing the guide bar above it that has a notch or groove in it , to fix it I loosened the screw on each side of the bar and turned it slightly one way or the other to center the line guide in the bar notch.
    A good cleaning and light lube helps a lot on most old used reels.

9. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I will do some of the things you guys have said and see if it works; and yea i got it from cableas after my birthday the day after christmas. but its a good reel it just started doing this i hope it works out for me thanks:roll_eyes: