Need Help With Setting Jug Lines For Cats.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BIGCAT DADDY 71, Mar 20, 2006.

1. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Going To A Southern Indiana Lake For My Vacation. The Game Officer A Spoke With Said I Could Use Ten Jugs, And Have To Be Tied To A Limb, Which Lake Has Alot Of Old Trees Standing. My Name And Info On Them. Never Did This Before, But I See Alot Of Them Floating When Iam Down There. Will Be There In The Spring,the Last Two Weeks Of April. If Any Brothers Could Give Me Help With Line, Hooks, Depth, And Bait, It Would Help Me Alot. Thinking Of Using Milk Jugs. Do I Use A Bungy Cord, Ive Seen Guys Using Them. I Got Me A Fish/depth Finder, First Time Ive Used One, What Kind Of Bottom Do I Look For To Sett Lines If Theres A Tree Or Limb There. Theres Alot Of Channel And Spotted Cats In This Lake, Iam Ready To Clean And Eat Some With The Crappie And Mushrooms I Get. Any Help Would Help Me Alot, Thanks. Bigcat Daddy 71.

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    That sounds like limb lines with a float. May as well just set limb lines and forget the milk jug. You could use yoyos if they are legal.
    Good luck

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My experiance, milk jugs don't work too good. Try 2 liter bottles, or tide bottles, or old antifreeze bottles.

In Oklahoma we don't have to tie off to a limb, we can have free floating jugs.

I simply tie my line directly to the bottle and use a small, 2-5 oz weight to keep the line straight.

4. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't like stationary jugs as well, but with a long line to the jug you can get farther than the limb reaches.

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    It's illegal to jug fish on lakes in Indiana. But if you tie them to a tree or a limb like the CO said then I guess it's considered a limb line.

6. charliedog

charliedog New Member

State:
    New Albany, Indiana
    Scott,
    Mark is correct in that jug (float) fishing is illegal in Indiana on public lakes and reservoirs for public safety. By tying a jug off to a tree limb you qualify it as limb line (or drop line). Every thing the CO told you is correct, but you need to be careful that you comply with the regulations completely because the jugs can be seen from a considerable distance and will usually draw scrutiny by any CO seeing them on the lake. And if you are not in compliance you could lose your gear and be subject to some ugly fines. You may fish with no more than 10 limb or drop lines at any one time. Each line may have no more than one single or multibarbed hook attached to it. Each line must have a readable tag showing the name and address of the user. All lines must be checked at least once every 24 hours. It is illegal to use a limb or drop line within 300 yards of any partial or full dam structure on any stream, river, ditch, canal or reservoir. Be very cautious about the 300 yards as this is quite a large distance. Three football fields eliminates most small lakes and reservoirs. From experience I can assure you if a CO sees them on a lake he will check them out.
    Charlie

7. charliedog

charliedog New Member

State:
    New Albany, Indiana
    Oh and don't forget to remove all of your limb lines when you are done. They are ugly and are a hazard to other fishermen, swimmers, and boaters. It is no fun getting snagged by a hook as you are working a bank line.
    Charlie

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    On the topic of Jugs, even though apparently they are illegal in your neck of the woods have some tips for using them...

Get a canister of canned air... when your using the 2 liter bottles open up the bottle... put a little bit of either super glue or some other epoxy type glue on the threads of the cap... Flip the canned air over so the nozzle is facing down and point the small tube into the bottle. Spray just enough so that you you have a small pool of liquid in the bottom of the 2 liter bottle and quickly put the cap on the 2 liter bottle... What this is/does is pressurizes the bottle so its more bouyant and therefore harder to pull down and even harder for the fish to crush w/ water pressure when it does go down deep.

The other thing you can do is buy a bag of marbles... and before you use the canned air put 8 or 9 in the bottle... what that'll do is act as a strik indicator... roll the marbles to the bottom of the bottle and when you place the bottle out either lay it on its side on bottom down and when you get a strike they'll shift the marbles to the cap side and give a good indicator of if you've had anything strike your baits...

The only other thing is color... paint them white as a base/primer then find a neon green color... supposedly study's have shown that light green is the easiest to see at a distance... so why wouldn't you want to be able to see them... Other option is color coding based on how deep the baits are... all mine are fixed depths and when i use pool noodles i have a certain color for a certain depth....

Find some reflective tape and put it around the bottom of the bottle as well that way if your using them at night you can tell where the bottles are as well as if you have a strike(cause w/ the marbles the reflective end with go higher in the air)

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, milk jugs are too flimsy to use for jugfishing. Soda bottles work well; if you want a larger jug, try a washing machine detergent jug or antifreeze jug. My personal test to determine if a jug will stand up to jugfishing is to put the cap on, stand on the jug, and bounce up and down. If the jug bursts, or the cap comes off, use a different type of jug.

10. gettin'fatter

gettin'fatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like a good way to test your health insurance, Jerry!

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Why so? It's easy enough to do the test next to something to hang onto, so that you don't lose your balance, and a milk jug is what, 8" x 8"? Dropping 8" isn't likely to hurt very many of us, and those know better than to try something like that.