need help with s-10 transmission

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by catman37, Jun 11, 2009.

1. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i need to replace the trans in my s-10 but i dont know how to tell which one i got.the motor and trans was pulled out of a 93 s-10 and put into my 85.the motors a 2.8l w/tbi and its 4x4.people at autozone are no help at all so i figured someone on here would know.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Is it an Automatic ?

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    If it's automatic, the trans will be a 700R-4 but they didn't produce a 2.8 liter in 93, it would have to be a 4.3

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    2.8L and 4.3L were both available in the S-10 in 1993. If it is an automatic it is a 4L60E. If it is a manual transmission the 2.8L will have a Borg Warner T5 behind it and the 4.3L will have a NV3500.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im with grim...ive had SEVERAL S10 trannies out and this is what ive ran into myself

good luck!

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Well, hopefully he's got a manual..because a 4L60E wouldn't work in a 85 Version. It would only have capabilities of lock-up convertor.

According to my Alldata, only 4.3's were available then...........HUMMMMMMMMMM:eek:oooh:

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    find the serial number on the tranny you have now and call a gm dealler. You better hurry up before they all close for good.:smile2:

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    he said it has throttlebody injection so they had to have put the computer and wire harness in it any way so it would work.... and actually a 4l60 is electronicly shifted so it would never come out ouf first gear if it even moved at all without the correct computer and also the 2.8 was available in 93 but was not as common as the 4.3 was the more desired option.. after years of messing with alldata i can tell you it is just like anything else it has its flaws!!:smile2:

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were the shifter shaft goes thru the side of the transmission look and see it it has a big black box bolted to the side of the trans with 2 big plugs going into it? also were the wires go into the passenger side of the trans see it it has a round plug with a bunch of wires of a square plug with 3???? the square plug is a 700r4....... round plug is a 4l60e... if it is a 4l60 and you get a replacement be sure it is from a 93 because the electronics were upgraded a few times over the years and some of the shift solenoids use different voltage values and it will smoke your pcm if you use the wrong tranns as soon as you try to drive it...

10. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes,its a 2.8l...93..looked up serial number on engine block myself.i wish it was a 4.3.it has the computer and all the wiring to go with it and there is a square plug that goes into the drivers side of the trans that has 2 prongs on it.its an automatic.

11. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    this things turning into a money pit real fast,i'll probably stick with my 2 wheel drive 89 toyota!

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    As mentioned before, the square plug with 2 wires will be a 700R-4 trans, There should be a detent cable coming from the R.H. side of the tranny up to the throttle body.

HTH, Elliot

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    A v8 fits in them really nice :wink:

Attached Files:

14. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio

if i wanted to put a 350 in will it bolt right in or do i have to modify the engine mounts? will a 700r4 bolt up to it?

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You will need a set of conversion mounts. They run about $50 - $75 for the 4x4 mounts, depending on where you get them. Good thing is you have a 2.8L, so the mounts bolt right your existing shells. Most 700r4 trannys will bolt up to a 350 but unfortunately yours will not. The 2.8L is a 60° engine and the V8 is a 90° engine. Yours has the 60° bell housing. You need a 700R4 with the 90° bell housing. The 4.3L is also a 90° motor, so you can use a tranny from a 4.3L S10.

16. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    where would i get conversion mounts to mount a 350 into my s-10? also could i use the same transfer case if i got something like a 4l60e tranny? the transfer case is a np 207.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just an idea.
    Buy another truck. You can get trucks and blazers pretty cheap.
    I was looking at 3 year old Trailblazers the other day for 7000. Loaded.

I got the hotrodding and modifying out of my system at a young age.
    Got tired of working on it all weekend to drive it all week.

I don't even change the exhaust on one now.
    Stock out of the box is the most trouble free way to go. Not to mention the cheapest way.

Just a thought.

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Google s10 conversion mounts and you will come up with many places to get them. Just make sure you get the 4x4 mounts for a 2.8L. One other thing is headers. If you plan on using headers instead of manifolds, decide on which ones first. There is usually a side note in the header description specifying a specific brand of conversion mount to use with their headers. I am not sure about mating a 4l60e to a np207. I am not that versed in the 4x4 side of things.

19. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive located a 92 gmc jimmy.it was my x wifes.her brother was gonna fix it up for her,and i guess they lost interest in it.shes gonna sell it to me for 500.i figure i could use the motor and tranny out of it. i think it has a 4.3 in it.hopefully it,ll bolt right in.

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Gary some times when you do these trade's in enginin size and what not ...it's not worth it!!!!!!