Need HELP with positive ID

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jul 21, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The catfish in my avatar which I think is a blue cat, may be a channel cat and if that is the case I may be in contention for the state record, if it is a channel, I have to go on a hunt for this brute to see how close I am to the record or if I indeed did break it! Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22042

Please help me I have been comparing images for the past hour and the more that I look at it the more I think channel.

Aaron

TA2D

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Based off of the top fin the way it points up and doesnt connect fully to the body, makes me think it is a blue cat. Though it has the color of a channel it has the distinct body type of a blue, maybe its a hybrid????

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Aaron,

After looking at the shape of the head, dorsal fin, and anal fin, I am betting on it being a blue. Sometimes, as in yours, it is very hard to tell them apart. Did you happen to count the anal fin rays? Go catch that monster again and if it has less than 29 rays on the anal fin then it is a channel. You cannot go by color. Despite the name...Blue cats are not always blue. I have caught them almost black in color. Good luck.

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Good point on the anal fins:

Blue Catfish: They have a forked tail, like a channel catfish, but do not have spots. There anal fins contain 30 to 35 rays. Both their sides and back are blue or blue gray with a white underside.

Channel Catfish:
    They have a small, narrow head with long barbels around the mouth, forked tails, and spines in the dorsal and pectoral fins. Color on their back is grayish blue, sides are light blue or light gray, and their underside is mostly white. Distinguished from blue catfish by having fewer rays (24-29 of them) on their anal fin and sometimes by having black spots.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Me too, but the head shape and fins give it away.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I never caught a Blue Cat, but...................
    I say it's a blue! I'm just saying that because you freaking didn't take it anywhere to get weighed officially you dork, so if it was a state record channel that you threw back before you weighed it then that would make you sit at home and cry. And I would make fun of you because I'm your best friend and that's my sole purpose in life! :big_smile: But if it's a blue then you can rejoice in knowing that you caught a large blue cat. Save yourself some sleep dude, it's a Blue........Say it with me now....BLUUUUUUEEEEEEEE CAT :tounge_out:

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    This is why DNR (atleast in MD) is skeptical if you call them up saying you have a record channel... theres a post in the MD section about it... And its a hard call... from the picture it looks like a very large channel to me... esp. with the width of the mouth there... I'm sure there will be some controversy about it if its ruled a channel based on the picture alone... just like there is about the all tackle channel record of 58 lbs which people contend isn't really 58 lbs, isn't a channel and really a deformed blue, etc... Do you have more pics then just that one in your profile?

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Channel that size have long lost there spots,and yjere tails are not as a pronoced fork best way is to count the rays in the aniel finthey also have a rounded shape to the aniel fin where a Blue has more of a streight line to it.Your pic altough is beautiful it's awful hard to see what is needed to identify it.My guess would be a channel.
    Loop

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I agree with loop. I'd be trying hard to catch that fish again and make a positive ID on it.

10. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Also because of the cost factor most lakes when stocked are stocked with Channel.
    Loop

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It looks like a blue to me.

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I cant really tell from the pic doesnt really look like the blues we have there. Ive noticed years of fishing lakes rivers ponds other states that the fish look diffrent from one body of water to the next. The blues we have stocked in my dads stock tanks are really dark in color almost like a channel cat, now the blues out of texoma are really light in color kind of a grayish blue. Ive noticed that some lakes it seems like the channels have more spots than others

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Ok, well since I can't get everyone online to say it's a Blue cat, I guess TA2D and I will be going after that fish forever. Anyone ever seen Grumpy Old Men 2. That'll be us. Thanks everyone :crazy:

SudDawg

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Just to get you back out to that small lake I am gonna say CHANNEL cat now that I've said it lets see how long it takes you to catch. Good luck i hope you do catch it are a bigger on your quest.

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, after scientificaly calculating the size of the mouth + the anal fins - the size of the mouth + the fact that you CPR that beautiful fish = One nice lookin cat brother.

Hard to say channel or blue from the pic, if it is a channel, it will be bigger next time brother. Congrats

16. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i agree i really think it is a channel if its a blue cat I've never seen one that dark brown and I catch alot of blue cats. blues that big usaully have a bigger gut , but the only way to be sure is to count the fins

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I guess that I will have to go through my pics at home and see if I can count the rays in the anal fin. If not, then off to the lake with me and catch that brute again! Its gonna be like Homer Simpson and General Sherman!

Aaron

TA2D

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think everyone is kinda missing one important thing, "Where is the hump on it's back" if it is a bluecat. Looks like a channelcat to me and a nice one at that. Great catch!!!

19. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When my home PC get fixed I will have to post more pics of this fish, maybe that will help out... I hope!

Aaron

TA2D

20. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The tail doesn't look right for it to be a channel. But the flatness of it's back, ie lack of hump, sure points more to a channel.
    Thinking maybe I released a record would probably keep me up for a few nights. Knowing I released the fish safely and unharmed would certainly help me sleep though. At least you have pics of a great catch! hope you get it figured out.