need help with plastic worm

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by casswellcathunter, Jul 21, 2008.

1. casswellcathunter

casswellcathunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went fishing on Sunday caught a few none worth keeping but a lot of fun I bought some 7 inch gulp worms had some good strikes but all at the tail how are you guys dealing with this

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I see this happening I just pinch about 2 or 3" off of the head of the worm and rig it back up (Texas Rig).

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Barry. Ya prolly got dinks messin with it too. Have ya tryed a gig and swimmin chunk? Dink or not you can cross his eyes with that. Also are ya reelin down and makin sure he has it before settin the hook?

4. casswellcathunter

casswellcathunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina

oh yes I pull back a littel and feel him while he is running with it but when I go to set the hook it just pulls out Im also using a weedless hook on a carolina rig thanks for the info

5. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I agree with all the above. If you are getting bit,but no fish,you are probably being bit by small fish. Just as everyone else said pinch an inch or two off your worm. Also,perch love worms with pink or chartreuse tails. They will come up and pull the tail off then spit it back out. JMO allen

6. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Buy some 3/0 worm hooks and rig it just like that package says. i used to throw 5 inch senko worms and i would always bring in tail-less worms. i solved this problem by switching to a 4 inch senko. theyre hard to find and they arent cheep, but you will triple your hook-ups. or you can cut a couple of inches off of your worms you have now. smaller always equals better. good luck!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with all the post on removing a small section of the head. Or you could buy some shorter worms. 4" or 5". Although tomorrow they may prefer the worm that you are useing. When you feel the fish set the hook. Don't wait.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It certainly could have been bream messing with it. They love to bite the tails off of stuff like that. We get them messing with us a lot in the coastal rivers here in NC. Never had as much of a problem with them in the Western part of the state though. Guess they're just more aggressive down here:wink:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My fav. worms are the lil 4" in either black or purple. I ain't fond of firetails where there are lots of bluegills as they will try for the tail every time.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    All good suggestions. Another is to attach a stinger hook. Not quite like you do on a spinnerbait; use a very short leader to attach the back hook to the front hook and put the back hook in the worm towards the very back. If you're still having trouble not getting hookups, try using a smaller hook on the back; if necessary, go to a smaller diameter worm with smaller hooks.

11. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest

trailer hook is what i would do

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I would say it was gills hiting the tail. Even a small bass can inhale a big worm. Downsize and see what happens then you should know.