Need help with my Zippo lighter

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gone_fishin, Jul 13, 2006.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I have this Zippo lighter that just doesn't want to light. I've put 3 new flints in it and have taken out the packing to make sure the wick is weaved correctly through it and yes it does have fluid in it. It still won't light. It's getting really frustrating. I'm starting to think it might be bad flints. Anyone have any ideas as of why it won't light?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I know for a fact zippo will replace the lighter if you take time to write them a note and mail the lighter to the company. I am sure the company is in Bradford, Pa.

3. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    The Zippo repair address from website is
    Zippo Manufacturing Company
    Attention: Repair Clinic
    1932 Zippo Drive
    Bradford, PA 16701

Website says they perform repairs at no charge.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Have you tried changing the wick. It might be bad, or the lighter fluid is no good. If the flints are sparking the flints are good. If thier not sounds like you have a bad flint wheel,send it back to Zippo.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'd say it's the wick but you can call them or send it to the and they will fix it or replace it, for the cost of shipping for LIFE!! what a deal!!

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am friends with the owner of Zippo and they will replace the lighter no matter what, unless its a special edition lighter then you can send it in for them to fix it.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Useonly zippo flints in zippo lighters. the other flints are to hard and wear out the wheel. If this is what happened expect a nasty letter when the lighter is returned.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are all right. Done deal.

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I already know about sending back to Zippo. I just didn't know if it was something I was doing wrong or what. I think it might be the flint wheel because it barely sparks or it doesn't spark at all. I have been filling it with a new can of Zippo fluid and using ONLY Zippo flints. Thanks for the replies.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Definatly the flint wheel, I get my dad one every year for Christmas. He collects them.

DH, very cool that you know the owners.

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to have nothing but a zippo then I got tired of everyone stealing them so now its 1.00 bic for me. Dont hurt so bad when it comes up missing, you might try coming down in a gentle arch when lighting it also sometimes they like to vapor lock.

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Yeah I'm pretty sure its the flint wheel 8 out of 10 times you try to light it it doesn't even spark and when it does spark you can barely even see it sparking. I don't understand how it went bad, I've used only Zippo flints and I've only used the lighter regularly for about 2 months.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been using Zippo's for years and the biggest problem from what you discribed is fouling of the wheel. Take a small wire brush like a gun cleaning brush and clean of the wheel. When it get full of gunk it doesn't throw off many sparks. If it is an old one you might want to check the spring tention. Stretch it out a little so it puts more pressure on the flint.

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ya beat me to it Flathead Willie, I have had a few over the years and most have been borrowed and never returned, that was usually the problem, I used to soak the wheel with a little of the lighter fluid and hit it with a wire brush, just be sure that the wheel it completely dry before you spark it!!!

Aaron

TA2D

15. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Billie, that is great info. I never thought of cleaning the wheel, I will have to pass that info along to my father. Thanks

16. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Hey Tea, ol Deerhunter gets around ya know. He also knows the owner of Hostess....maker of his beloved twinkies...heh heh.

I have used zippos for years and always used the rosenol fluid and flints with no problem....

egg

17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Poor Egg, you are taunting the great DH.

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I did stretch the spring out and it works great for about 5 strikes then it stops sparking. I'll have to try cleaning the wheel.