need help with my new braided line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by 187um, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    ok guys need some help i bought some braided line using it for about a week last night went out and on 4 straight occasions lost 4 straight rigs when hooked into a fish it always breaks at the leader where my main line attches to the swivel i used a polamar knot and cinch knot both snapped. am i doin somethin wrong its 20 lb spider wire ez braid help me about came unglued last night spitten fire!!!! so for all you braided guys outhere i need assistance

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    this is a braided line knot that i found online and it has never failed me. first double the line ( i like to double about 8 to 10 inches back) and run it through the swivel now twist it four times like a cinch knot and run the line back through the bottom loop by the swivel and cinch it up now you have a double line in this half cinch knot. you might also loosen your drag a little looser than you would with mono since the braid has no stretch and a sudden shock from a strong fish will snap the line at the weakest spot. i use 50# spider wire on all my rigs and have landed fish as large as 54#s with no problems but i do run my rigs with a pretty loose drag. hope this knot works for you.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    rob, you can google "braided line knots" and find illustrations of this knot if i didnt explain it well enough

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    There are several knots that will work well, but the important thing with all of them is to lubricate and tighten slowly and evenly, to prevent friction burns; the worst enemy of knots. I happen to like the uni-knot myself. It's easy to tie, even in the dark.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That is exactly what I have learned. If I do not wet the knot good, it will break every time. I used polamar knots and don't have any trouble if I wet the knot and draw it down even.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    rob,
    if you're tying braid directly to your rig this could be 1 of 2 problems first the line is breaking due to your hookset since there is no stretch you could weaken your knot during the hookset and then during the fight the line breaks. second it could be the knot itself when using braid you have to use more wraps than you would if you were using mono. if you use say a uni-knot on mono 6 turns is enough however using braid you would need at least 9 wrapps and 12 would be better. try these and let us know how you make out.

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    WE use to use spider wire ,until we found that Power Pro 80# at 18 Dia. monofilament .size worked 10 times better, to me spider wire is too brittle

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats one reason way i dont like to use swivels unless i have to less weak spots the better.However i would like to know what size swivels everyone is using.

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use power pro and always use a palomar. When tieing the palomar you have to be careful that the line is not criss crossed on the knot of the hook it needs to be side by side. I have had no problems with palomars with braid but when using the fishermans knot with braid I had the same problem your having when I had a fish of 20# or better due to the knot slippin on braid. Hope this helps.

10. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Super braids are difficult to tie good palomars with, even if you wet them. Take extra care when cinching your loop on top of your overhand knot. I've read that a double or even triple overhand palomars are stronger than single palomars. I have not been able to tie a good double or triple though, so I stay with the single. You are probably getting your knot stuck and ending up tearing a single strand one fiber at a time, like when you tear a phonebook in half. I also like to put a "safety" overhand knot in the tag line on my palomars just in case of slippage. Good Luck, I hope you figure it out!! :smile2:

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  12. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i use the uni knot and double loop knot, and never had them break with a fish on. and by the way i use power pro. hopes this helps...justin:cool2:

13. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    ok guys here it goes i went out again 2 days after my post and did awesome. caught my limit in an hour and a half a few on my braided pole and a few on mono i was doing some field experimenting and not sure what i did wrong the previous time out but no breaks this time no lost fish the trophy fish on the day was 12 lb channel on the braided so now i am really F'n confused but i do really appreciate all your help and i will be sure to chime in later letting you all know how i faired with some of your suggestions thanks alot guys

14. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So when i tie a knot with my braided line it is better for me to set the knot up, then dip it into some water then very evenly and slowly pull it tight?

15. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Kyle you should always lube your knots before tightening them. And if it slips on the reel use some black electric tape as you start it on. And keep it tight on the reel. Make sure you use a good knot for braid if the knot slips it maybe the way you are tieing it. You can use glue on braid knots to get them to hold.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use power pro with a polomer knot. Wet it down before sinching it tight.

Perhaps you should also look into to bumping up your line size.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR