Need help with jug set up

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by BMc, Oct 2, 2017.

1. BMc

BMc New Member

State:
    MS
    My brother in law and I took my two little girls and my two nieces out jug fishing yesterday. We had a good time, but were not overly successful. Put out 20 jugs and caught 3 channel cats.

The jugs were a pvc pipe and pool noodle. Heavy line tied to noodle, then a weight, then a swivel, then mono leader and either a kahle or a circle hook. Fishing with worms. Overall line length was around 10 ft. Main river channel is 25 to 30 ft deep. Was setting jugs in 12 to 15 foot of water. Not legal to set jugs in main channel.

All the other 17 jugs that were not successful, no longer had bait on them. Many of those were hung on the bottom. The jugs had drifted to shallower water.

1. I am assuming that my lines need to be shortened. What length would you suggest starting at?

2. What is the shortest time that you can let the jugs sit, but still have a chance to catch anything?

3. Is there a way to rig the jugs where the weight is below the bottom, but still be easy to wrap and store?

4. Any of suggestions or ideas would be great!

Thanks!

2. chadinsc

chadinsc Well-Known Member

State:
    upstate sc
    Name:
    Chad
    i have only jugged once and we had two jugs but caught 3 cats in about 45 min. we uses milk jugs and tied 50lb mono to handle about 4 foot long with 3/0 j hooks and 1/2 oz egg at hook and small live bream. the wind blew them across about 10-15 foot of water. seemed to work good

BMc likes this.

3. BMc

BMc New Member

State:
    MS
    Thank you for the reply, definitely sounds like my line is too long.

4. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Well-Known Member

State:
    tx
    Are the white/sand bass running hitting shad. If so then put out some jugs right where you see the activity, shad boiling out of the water. Have some fresh cut shad ready and fish about 5 or 6 FT of line in those shad. Also you will be able to see more shad activity at night. Just add a strip of reflective tape around the jug/noodle .

BMc likes this.
  5. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Well-Known Member

State:
    tx
    Also for me I have better luck with worms in spring and early summer.

BMc likes this.
  6. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Im somewhat of an expert on jugging(lol not really) but I'd say shorten your lines to maybe 6-8ft and use chicken liver, strawberry jello flavored chicken or cut bait. If your jugging for catfish, especially during the day, your location is important. This is my setup if it helps. I take a two liter bottle and tie some 30lb mono around the neck and snell a kahle hook with a 1/2 oz egg sinker 8in above the hook. I've gone out twice now and had alot of luck catching channels like this. I'm also fishing a lake tho so it might be different in a river. Hope this helps and good luck out there.

BMc and R. D. Hilton like this.
  7. BMc

BMc New Member

State:
    MS
    R.D., thanks for the tips. I am not sure about the bass hitting shad, i have not really been out there much. Great thoughts on the length of line. First thing on my list is to shorten my lines.

Unfortunately we won't be doing much jug fishing at night. Mama will not be too excited about me taking kiddos out on water after dark, and they would probably fall asleep anyway.

As far as bait is concerned, I just stopped by the store and picked up some worms because it was a last minute trip and we needed something quick. You mentioned shad cutbait. How do you get your shad? Also, if shad is not available, would bream be an option?

8. BMc

BMc New Member

State:
    MS
    Matt,

Thank you for the reply. I definitely am going to shorten my lines. You had mentioned chicken livers as a potential bait. Any certain kind? The reason that I ask is that I bought some chicken livers one time from the grocery store. They were in a small white bucket. I really had a hard time with them not staying on the hook. Of course maybe a lot of that had to do with my lines being too long and dragging too much on the bottom.

I also fish a lake, or at least plan to. I would have gone out on the reservoir Sunday, but we had 10+ mph winds. So I went upriver, but the current is very slow going.

9. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    B here are my thoughts, we have jug fished for over 25 years in Mo and OK. We use a 7/0 or 8/0 hook. We are fishing for blues. Use some kind of tough fish for bait that is legal. Some states allow legally caught game fish pieces to be used for bait some don't. Tough bait stays on the hook better, Shad is great and the fish feed on it continually, but it isn't very tough. I like to fish the top half of the water column. We use 2 liter bottles and anchor them in place so that they don't move without a big fish pulling on them. Like Matt we use an egg sinker above the hook with a swivel between the sinker and the hook. We also use 100 lb braided nylon.

10. bvomark

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    Here is a sketch I made a few years ago of the way we rig our jugs. Maybe this will help you.

jug.gif

11. BMc

BMc New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input! Now all I need is a little more free time to go hit the water.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  12. CargoJon

CargoJon Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Jon
    With regard to chicken livers, I always use the 2-hook / gauze method outlined in this video. Works very well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    If your setting jugs you should be able to keep chicken liver on pretty easily since your not casting.

14. bvomark

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    B I see these posts about liver and other bait that are tender and won't stay on the hook. If the bait comes off the hook you are not there to rebait. Use a bait that that can take multiple hits and will stay on the hook.

15. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Name:
    Bob
    First of all is the bait, gills, green sunfish, shad. Not worms, chicken livers or any other soft bait, it won't stay on and all the little peckers will get it off in a minute.
    We use gallon veg. oil jugs, like 500# nylon main line with 3 hooks per jug, #8 gamo circle with a green sunfish for bait. These are anchored, I use a folgers coffee container with 4 spikes sticking out the bottom and then I fill it with quick crete and then put a plastic rope in the wet mud for a handle and something to tie your main line to. I make 3 overhand knots that make a loop which i tie my drop lines, I keep these short, have a line clip to clip on the loop, makes it handy when taking a fish off the main line, then a #8 circle, I spread the loops out evenly and I usually put these in 20 feet of water, I have a place that almost always fills up my hooks each time we bait and it don't take long for a freezer full and we usually do this in the fall and it takes care of our catfish needs for the coming winter, I've had two 30# blues on one of these it they didn't move my jug 15 feet, this system really works and has had many years of trying to get all the kinks out and now its perfect for us.

bvomark likes this.
  16. MJO21

MJO21 New Member

State:
    MO
    Name:
    Mike
    When we float jugs down the MO river we set out up to 50 jugs, when doing this many jugs we have at least 2 boats. We use tide jugs and the green braided trot line string/rope. We use a single circle hook at least 8/0 up to 12/0 if we have them on hand, almost always we use no weight, our lines vary by how careless we were when we cut and made them. Some are as short as 6" but never longer than 18" into the water. I use a simple Arbor Knot to tie hook and an overhand loop knot at the other end. Wrap the line around the handle, hook goes through the loop and we are fishing, Storage is easypull hook out of the loop and put each line in its own jug.

Bait varies on what is available. If we have time to get bluegill great, liver works fine, if an Asian carp jump in the boat we have cut bait, if we can throw for shad that is even better...when all else fails we get little smokey sausages, we think they stay on the hook better than hotdogs