Need help with Grand Lake!

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fisherman48, Oct 11, 2008.

1. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My wife and I just bought our first boat (fish and ski) this summer and have only fished Skiatook every weekend with no luck but a few small sandies so next Friday we are going to load up and make the trip to Grand for some night catfishin. hopefully I can get my wife her first and very long awaited catch. I have heard nothin but great things about Grand but have never been on the lake. It should be close to full moon so we are going to give it one last hoorah before we winterize for a long 4 months. Can anyone point me in the right direction to some good catfish holes on the lake where we can anchor down for the night. Thanks alot for any advice.

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    any specif area you'll be in, and specific targeted species, i noticed you said holes to anchor on for the night?

3. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Probably put in on the other side of the dam in disney, so anywhere close to the ramp would be ideal.

4. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    all right well i ive right down below the ramp there on the dam side, so let meknow when your aruond the area next friday and ill show you some spots close to the ramp

5. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey thanks alot that sounds like a plan. I think we have decided to just go Sat. and spend the day out thier. Will that work for you?

6. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah man perhaps get you 3 more post so you can pm, me with maybe some more details, im not quite sure what i got going on saturday, i can atleast tell you where to go from the ramp there and what to do

7. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No problem, anything helps. We will probably be drifting w/ cut shad. Just need to be pointed in the right direction so we can bring home some catfish. Thanks

8. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I heard Sailboat Bridge was a good spot and someone else told me to fish Duck Creek or Honey Creek.

9. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Matt,
    Sounds from reading on here that you know Grand pretty well.
    I am coming over from Fayetteville this weekend to catfish. I was planning on heading to Grove and then going from there. I have never fished Grand, but if you don't mind, could you at least put me on the ramp I need to launch from and an area to start? I have friends from here who drift Grand each fall until about the end of November over big flats and really do well each trip over. They drift with cut shad.
    Thanks for any help you don't mind giving.
    ccat

10. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    chris, i know the lake well, i live on the south end of the lake, on the river so i'm literaly a just minutes away from the lake or river, i can show you all the spots, but i don't fish up north around grove area hardly ever, no need to when i can catch em right down here, but i do fish the flats in winter up arund bernice and the cleora flats when time is right, so if your gonna fish up around sailboat you might try one of the guys up on that end, cause i don't go up there this time of year, give me a holler if you want to fish the river i'm slaying the blues up on the dam right now, good luck, or hit me up on email or something let me know where your gonna put in at

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    and to brandon i don't do honey creek, but i do duck creek folks live on the mouth of duck creek, i know that erea reallly well also, just let me know, talk at ya later

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    matt,
    I will still probably hit the grove area as I am camping there. But you know, I guess I could easily camp down on the lower end as the upper. What are some camping areas down there?
    I had just planned on drifting some cut shad over flats. I hope that will work. Will I be able to net some shad pretty easily?
    thanks for any help.
    ccat

13. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah you could it's just whatever you prefer, if you want my opinion the parks down here on the south end are way prettier and way more entertaining area of the lake especially down on the dam way more activities and stuff to do, if you like to do other things as well, but anyways there's 3 parks part of the cherokee state parks on the riverside and lake side of the dam all have boat ramps

14. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey matt if tou run in to russ hogan tell the boys from ark city ks. in the yellow jeep said hi. never fished much below the dam sometimes when everybody else was rock crawlin i would go down to the mouth of grand and blue river. never caught anything big but caught a lot. just gets pretty muddy on the trail from hogans down there. well good luck. thanks mike

15. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, were leavin tulsa early in the morning tomorrow headed for Grand for the first time. Hopefully come back with a mess of fish. Ill let you guys know how we did. Thanks for all the help.

16. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    MIke, yeah i know hogan, i live about 1 mile from him across the river i live directly behind little blue, im sure you been crawlin in my back yard, if you ever see us outside there pull up and will drink some cool ones, brandon if your gonna fish the river go up to the cable were catching blues, sandies, and a few good hybrids i've seen still being caught, if your going on the lake straight acrross the from the ramp acrros the lake is a light house on a point called check point bay, try that one in about 23 to 40 ft of water it's a good point then at the mouth of duck creek check both sides of those points, you can drift that point all way down passed drowning creek, those are just 3 basic spots, but check all your points should be plenty of bait fish on em, if you get really stumped give me a call and ill find some

17. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Matt,
    Well, I fished the honey creek area and the 59 bridge with no luck.
    I fished some today (Sunday) north of Shangra La around a big island, again with no luck. I marked a lot of fish holding close to the bottom anywhere from 25-40 foot. I did net plenty of shad that were a lot bigger than they are now over here on Beaver.
    I will come back next month. I couldn't believe all the jugs over there. There isn't much jugging on Beaver in the day light, but a lot at night. There were jugs everywhere in that honey creek area that were being run/checked all day long. Only saw one with a fish on it.
    Oh well, I will be back.
    good luck.
    ccat

18. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well to bad you didn't' catch anything, sometimes we can't always find them or have the time to, i'd a gauranteed you fish down here, were still catching good ones in the river, anyways yah i think thats the only way those grove boys now how to fish is with jugs, and over by sailboat bridge, theres always tons of jugs in that area, doesnt bother me since i'm never up that way, kinda concerns me of how many they leave in the water though

19. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Matt,
    Where is down here? Are you on the south end? I am planning another camping trip in 3 weeks. Will it be worth it to make that trip from Fayetteville? I am really hoping to get on some catfish.
    ccat

20. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah down here is referring to the south end of the lake, im not telling you it's worth a trip from fayetville, because i simply don't know how they'll be biting in 3 weeks although i'm usally always able to locate without any problems, but i was just saying since or if your already over her at grand it would be better then not catching any fish thats for sure, but anyhow that happens from time to time no matter who you are, anyways good luck and keep at em