Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just found this site yesterday & love it. Anyway, i'm new to the flagging jugs & just made some prototypes yesterday. Give me some feedback if you see a problem. I made these smaller than I wanted. I plan on making longer ones after I try these out. I used 3/4" pvc, 12" in length, 2 5/8" swimming noodle, 7" in length with 100 lb tarred dropline. I'm using about 10 feet of line with 2 drops. Barrel swivels at the end of the drops, a snap swivel at the end of the main line in case I want to use three or to attach my weight there. Don't plan on using 3 rigs. Seems like too much anyway. I mostly will be drifting as I fish mainly rivers with slow currents. My hooks are Eagle Claw 4/0 Kahle. I plan to use cut or live shad. So you know i'm looking for flatheads. Thats about it. Also, is it better to hook the shad through the nostrils or behind the dorsal? I heard the dorsal area can become soft & you could lose your bait there real easy. Any feedback is welcome. Good luck out there & hopefully I will be posting a new pic with a decent flathead in my hands...lol...

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Tim sorry i can,t help you a lot with your questions , but i did want to welcome you to the USCA /BOC , THIS IS A GREAT SITE WITH LOTS OF INFO . I am sure some of the gang that fishes jugs will give you some info to help u out .

· Registered
4,527 Posts
I'll throw my two cents in with Mark. Too small. I prefer the 4" pool noodles, cut 12 inches in length, and mounted on an 18 to 20 linch long pvc pipe, capped at both ends. One of the caps has an eye bolt mounted before gluing to the longer piece. I also use about 3 to 4 ounces of lead or re-bar inside the pipe to help with the flagging action. Of course opinions are also a dime a dozen, but if your targeting flatheads, I'd recommend sunfish or perch about 3 to 5 inches in length. Try to keep them alive. Blues and channels, and an occasional flathead will take the cut bait.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 3" piece of rebarb with noodle cushions at each end. I basically made smaller than I wanted because I want my daughter to get into jugging & the noodles I made would be perfect for 1-10 pound channel cats. Even if I use bluegill or perch, where is the best place to hook them. Lips, nostril, or dorsal???? Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another question just came to me. Is it worth it to jug fish when the rivers are up? All the good rivers around Jefferson Co. are pretty high because of the rain. If it's worth it, do I fish deep or shallow & do you still have to keep the thermo in mind???

· Registered
39 Posts
I prefer to hook my live bait just behind the dorsal. In my opinion the thermocline is not issue in rivers. I've never witnessed a river turnover such as in a lake. Also around here the best time to fish for cats in the river is when it's riseing, I hit the river after a goood rain and drift with a couple of rods and a dozen or so jugs. I catch mostly blues and channels doing this. I've always had better luck catching flatheads on limblines. It's a little easier to set limblines around laydowns and brush. It's a little more difficult to keep jugs there, when dealing with current.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.