Need Help with fishing from bank

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Randjoe44, May 22, 2009.

1. Randjoe44

Randjoe44 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am getting back into catfishing after years of being deployed in the Army. I am stationed at Fort Sill OK. Lake Latonka is close and other lakes. What advice could I get for fishing off shore???? what rig to use and bait. Also what time of day is best. The dams here don't have big spill ways so I have to fish the upper part of the dam. can anyone help?????:sad2:

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Randy, the best advice I can give you is to buy a cast net, and learn how to use it so you can catch fresh shad for bait. If you do, you're way ahead of the game. I don't know Ellsworth or Lawtonka very well, but I've heard that Ellsworth is supposed to have a very healthy bluecat population. Rig up with 1 oz. egg sinkers & 4/0 kahle hook below the sinker on about an 18" leader. Fresh shad fished from the bank on a lake with a good bluecat population oughta do the trick. You might go snoop around the local baitshops or marinas and see if you can't pick up a little info before you try it. If they're releasing water from either lake, get some fresh shad and hit the spillway. There will be cats to be caught down there.

Good luck.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would not reccommend Ellsworth as it has been on the decline. I would recccommend Waurika.

4. Randjoe44

Randjoe44 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the advice brother. I'll try this. Is it better to keep the hook above the sinker around rocky areas????

5. Randjoe44

Randjoe44 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the advice brother. I'll try this. Is it better to keep the hook above the sinker around rocky areas????

6. Randjoe44

Randjoe44 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Where at Waurika? does it have a spillway or dam. Is there a good bait shop. What do you think I should use?

7. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I don't know your area, but I can tell you what I do up my way. I fish 100% from the bank in a river mostly, but sometimes from a lake.

Even for snaggy areas, I just use a carolina rig, where I put the sinker on the main line, place a bead next, then tie to a swivel. From the other end of the swivel, I go with 18" or so of a leader that is snelled to a hook. For my river conditions, I use a no-roll disk type sinker, which prevents the sinker from rolling in the current.

I have heard of other guys using a 3-way swivel, instead, with the sinker tied onto the third swivel hoop with lighter test line, so that snaggy spots will just take the sinker.

Hope this helps. Good fishing to you.

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    If your fishing rocks where the catfish may be spawning, try a floater @ 4' or so to keep from getting hung up so much we catch them good on Eufaula with this setup.....good luck. Oh almost forgot, you have to be quick on the trigger when they hit or they spit it out, use the smallest float you can get by with.

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Its been a few weeks since I've been out there but I've been fishing towards the northside of the lake off of windy points.. if you are fishing from the bank at waurika chest waders arent a bad idea out there either..

The last time I went shad were pretty abundunt and we caught a couple cats and hybrids..

10. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I too fish 100% from the bank,my advise is to get a lake map with contours.Study the ares where main channels come close to the bank.And also where feeder streams enter the lake you are fishing.Kinda took this from deer hunting new areas,study a topo map,then search out the areas that look good and cut down on alot of the guess work,good cattin to ya brotha!!!

11. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    As mentioned earlier, a cast net should be your first priority. For bank fishing I'd recommend a 4-6 foot diameter, depending on your casting ability. If you got fresh shad, you got it made. I like the carolina rig as mentioned before but I like to use several different variations for different occasions and conditions. If I'm fishing a spot that isn't prone to get you hung up, I'll just slip a large snap swivel on the mainline, then a bead and then my hook. Then I snap the appropriate sized sinker to the swivel and I can change sinker size without re-rigging. This is a very fast rig to tie and works well with live bait.
    And yes, sometimes it is better to have the sinker below the hook. In especially rocky areas I'll slip a swivel on the mainline that has a 6-10 inch leader and hook. Then, I add a bead and another swivel to the end of the mainline. The sinker is added to this swivel with about a 18" drop line. I like this better than the 3-way swivel because it allows the fish to take the bait without feeling the weight of sinker. When you're reeling in, the hook is up off the bottom and you seldom get snagged.
    Good Luck.