Need help with cut bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Cat Man Joe, May 31, 2007.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive read a few articles and talked to a few people about catching bigger channels at the lake I fish not far from my house. I fish with Sonnys alot and I catch a good number of fish most times, but I can never seem to land anything over 4-6#. I know this lake has bigguns in it and I want to catch some of them. I was told to use live bait or cut bait, some say cut would work better. I understand that when using live bait my nights out will turn into more of a waiting game than Im used to, and thats fine. The problem is that whatever I use as cutbait, anything it seems, only feeds the bullheads. There are alot of these buggers in this lake and I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to keep them away. Maybe a certain cutbait, or presenting it differently, or with this problem do I need to fish only with a live gill to try and catch some bigger cats. Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Bigger Bait=Bigger fish most of the time.

Live bait for flatties. Cut shad for channels and blues. Skipjack if they are in your area.

3. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    have ya tried usin live bullheads for bait?

4. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    No Wade, I havent. I thought only flatties would hit those and I dont think theres any flats in this lake. Will a channel eat a bullhead? If so I'll have to give it a try.

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    if u are using a 4in bluegill increase it to 8in. the bigger the bait the bigger the wallopp. i have had my line take off on a 7in piece of cut shad and keep going, and going and then snap and it was 30#lb line. so yes u will wait it out awhile but if u are in a good spot with downed timber or what not there may be a few bigger ones in there and the hits will be better

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    try using a large piece of cut bullhead. I get lots of channels on that here in texas

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    try to use a bluegill whole just clip of the top fin and tall for blood trail...and hook in the tail

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    are you absolutely positive there's no flatheads in the lake? if a creek or river feeds it i would be fishing there and with the bullheads you're catching. yes big channels will hit a 4-5" bullhead. i seem to do better that way if i clip the fins. maybe up the size of your cutbait to maybe a half a whole shad, like 8 inches long. even if the bullheads are picking at the bait, a big channel will have no problem taking it from them!
    big channels will also hit a live bluegill, or a bluegill head. cut a live bluegill in half, and try to keep the gut pocket intact, or just cut a live one right behind the gills. the head is usually the bloodiest part of any fish.

9. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I agree.
    I also cast as far out as possible (50-70 yards) onto a flat that is next to a drop-off when lake fishing.
    I stubborn. I can sit and wait for hours and hours too. :big_smile:

10. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im not sure about the flatheads Jordan, its a resevoir that i fish at so im not sure if anything runs into it. The fishing regulations book here in illinois says there arent any but about 2 or 3 years ago I could have swore i caught around a 2# flathead. Maybe someone who wants them in there just planted some in there at some time or another. Its good to know that channels will eat em though. As far as the size of my cutbait goes, last weekend I threw a 5 or 6 inch whole dead, but fresh shad in hooked with a 8/0 circle hook and in about an hour and a half I pulled it back in and the bullheads had eaten the entire belly outta that shad!:eek:oooh: Im definately gonna try some of the thing you guys have mentioned and hopefully Ill land "ol grandpappy" this weekend! Thanks guys.

11. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    4-6lb channels are nice channel cats in most lakes. I know they grow bigger but that a nice average size.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I learned this from another guy here but it applies. I rarely use a whole 3" shad. In fact the little shad I throw back or away or put three on a hook. I like the big (6") min, or even the 9-12" Shad. When I cut them I get three pieces of bait from each fish. I scale it and filet off the sides. Those sides, even with little blood have caught me many a dandy channel. The third bait is the head or head and body of the fileted shad.

As far as the pesky Bull heads, I would change location. Bigger channels will run them out or eat them. If you like that particular flat, then try deeper off the ledge.

13. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana

I AGREE WITH TEA HERE,USE WHAT THEY ARE ALWAYS FEEDING ON IN THE WATERS THE YOU FISH.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you had the belly eat off of your bait it was probably a turttle.bullheads swallow their meals whole.I would try using a slip bobber and suspend your bait about 18 to 24 inches off bottom.

15. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had a guy tell me the same thing last night at the lake, Shawn! He was fishing with cut shad, pulling bigguns in left and right. I asked him how he kept the bullheads away and he said "you dont, if theres alot of bullheads around theres not many channels around cause the cats will runem off". He had six keepers he said the smallest was 5#. He was in a boat and Im stuck on the bank. Problem with this lake is theres only a few places to fish from the bank and every spot has large rocks for erosion control quite a ways out so I cant cast net for em. Dont feel like tearing up a net. Im tired of catching keepers with sonnys so I guess Ill have to start using gills for bait. I suppose I should look for a new spot too, I dont know of many more on this lake but I may be able to find one cause the spots Ive fished before are pretty shallow for a long way. Im not really sure what to do. I NEED A BOAT!! Thanks for the help so far guys!

16. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Do you have access to frozen mackrel?? if you do, cut a golf ball sized or bigger chunch out of the mac and slide it over a treble hook and then tie the line, this keeps the bait on forever. the bait is heavy enought that you can just free line it in a lake. this is the best bait for channels out here in cali. i have seen people catch 10-15 or bigger channels and blues out here.

i am from iowa and always wanted to give the mac a try out there. if you need me to i would be happy to send you some mack out in some dry ice.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well i would say catch ya a bull head and cut him up for bait...maybe some frogs and cut their belly open and let their innerds hang out...sounds cruel but lemme tell ya ive caught alot of fish that way

18. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Creek chubs seem to work good on the the big channels. I use them both live and cut. Both ways have worked for me. I've had better luck with chubs than sunfish when it comes to channel cats.