Need help with corn bread

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by SHARON FLEMING, Mar 22, 2007.

1. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    George loves corn bread with just about any thing he eats, problem is I don't make good cornbread. I have tried several brands of corn bread mix and even tried making it form scratch, I don't know if it is tha pan I bake it in or what but it never turne brown on the sides. Please help

2. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sharon,
    It would appear that George and I have something in common, I also could and would eat Cornbread with every meal. Over the years this is what I have learned that works pretty well.

First off, I have also tried box mixes and making it from scratch. It is of my opinion that plain old Jiffy cannot be beat! However I do a couple of different things to the plain old mix.
    I Always use a glass pan, don't know how I actually figured it out, but just the same it seems that the glassware allows for even distribution of the heat allowing all of the cornbread to cook evenly. One tip always grease your pan before baking. Lot of people like the sprays, I personally think the sprays leave an unpleasant aftertaste so I use regular butter.

Second depending on how George likes the consistency of his cornbread, If he likes it more firm than just follow the directions on the box. I personally like mine a bit more fluffy. To achieve this fluffiness, I discovered that if you add a regular old yellow cake mix with a box of Jiffy and follow all the rest of the directions, Your cornbread will come out much more fluffy.

The last thing I feel is the most crucial is sugar! I don't like sweets very much at all. In fact I'm usually the one who doesn't even eat dessert. However when you add sugar to the cornbread before you bake it, it does something to the outcome that is out of this world. As far as how much sugar to use, that is entirely up to you. I use between a quarter and a half cup and it always turns out well.

One more thing to add, If George enjoys a touch of spice, I add a can of diced green chili's to the batter, For me it depends on what type of meal I am pairing my cornbread with to determine rather or not I am going to add the chili's.

I hope some of this helps, would love to hear back from you and your thoughts on how it may or may not have turned out!

Now you got me wanting some Cornbread again:tounge_out: !
    Garrett

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I always make cornbread in a cast iron pan 9". That pan is only used for cornbread. Just rinse and wipe clean with papertowel when through.
    I use Marth White self rising cornmeal.
    Turn oven on to 450. Pour 1/4 cup oil or bacon greas in pan and place in oven.
    1 egg beaten
    1 1/3 cup milk- I like butter milk
    1 1/2 cups corn meal
    1/2 cup self rising flour
    1 tbs sugar.
    Mix dry ingredients
    Pour in wet ingredients-mix well
    Remove pan from oven.
    Pour oil into batter mix well
    Pour mixture into pan, place in oven.
    Bake for 20 to 25 min.
    If you don't like sweet cornbread leave the sugar out or add more to your liking.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    "Shawnees Best" is what i prefer...my wife makes good cornbread, but when i make ham and beans i use shawnees best yellow cornbread - just follow the directions and you can't miss...if it isn't available in your area, just pm me and i'll send you a couple of packages so you can draw your own opinion:big_smile:

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like swannie mix myselfThe secret to good corn meal is that your pan has to be smokeing hot I use a cast iron skillet and like I said I put my oil in the skillet then put it in the oven and get it smoking hot then put pot mixture in and bake

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please check your oven temperature with a oven thermometer.We bake cornbread at 425 degrees.Just because a oven is right at one setting,does not mean it is right at another.I learned this the hard way.If you do happen to be cooking at the wrong temperature,everything else you are doing is a waste of time.For the crustiest corn bread,get you some cast iron "Corn stick" pans.Also,the higher the corn meal content,and the less flour the easier it will crumble.I like a all cornmeal bread as I often crumble it in my food.A little sugar in it helps most food brown if you are not a diabetic.Every one of us has the things that we do best,and the things that we do worst.I admire you for your effort,and believe me your efforts are far more valuable than your success will ever be.No person can ask more of a person who tries their best for them.If you never turned out a edible piece of cornbread,your efforts are what is so valuable in life.I admire you very much for this.I think your corn bread is already a very special bread.I see that others on here make their bread as we do.I wish you the best.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. SHARON FLEMING

State:
    IOWA
    THANK ALL OF YOU! I have never tried using cast iron for this but I bet George has one or two up at the cabin. I never knew you were suppose to heat you pan first. I am going up to the cabin on Tues. and I will try all of these suggestions. I don't cook when he is gone but I always turn on the stove the day before he gets back to make sure it still works LOL

Belive it or not I am a pretty good cook, but never ate cornbread until after we got married ( OH the things that man has taught me HEE HEE HEE) thanks again for your help I knew that I could count on the brothers & sisters of BOC
    Sharon

8. SHARON FLEMING

State:
    IOWA
    Just an update on my cornbread, I tried the receipe that Hoot gave me and also tried heating up my pan first, what really worked was using a cast iron pan and heating it up first.. MY CORNBREAD WAS GOOD
    Thanks to all of you
    Sharon

9. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    1. DO NOT use yellow corn meal. Yellow corn is stock feed. Use only white corn meal.

2. DO NOT use sugar in cornbread. If I wants cake, I eats cake.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, cornbread has to be cooked in cast iron, whether a skillet or a cornbread mold (to make corn sticks, corn muffins, etc.). And you yankees that add sugar aren't even making cornbread; you're making a poor attempt to make a cake.:big_smile:

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Cornbread are round pie are square!
    Just a thought.
    :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Way to go Sharon! Hoot's recipe sounds amazingly similar to mine, and as you've found out, heating that pan/grease up first is a MUST for crusty cornbread :smile2: (although I don't think THAT much grease is necessary, I use about a tablespoon for a nine inch skillet).

13. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    I agree with Hoot on his recipe but here are a few suggestions for a variety of flavor that my family has taken a liking to over the years. You can try it and see what you think.
    In addition to his recipe I add 1/4 cup of bacon bits (either store bought or home fried), and I also add 1/4 cup of dehydrated onion flakes (fresh chopped would work too but my husband and daughter wont eat chuncks of onion). I also add about 1/4 cup of ranch dressing.
    I would add theses before adding the milk, you may want to adjust that to keep the same consistency. And I never add sugar, cant believe any true southerner would add sugar. sorry hoot.
    but anyway, like mexican cornbread...its something different.

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    ranch dressing goes good w/almost anything!!

15. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    there is only two types of cornbread. the worst i ever had was excellent, the other was better.

16. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Depending on what I am having for supper with the cornbread as to the amount of sugar I add. Sometime none at all. I also add Jalapeño peppers, bacon or chitterlings, Just depends. Once you get down the recipe for good crusty cornbread the options are not limited.
    When I eat sorghum syrup with cornbread I cook it in a waffle iron. Yummy. Makes it really crusty.