Need help with channel catfish!!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 16, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hi guys I need help with channels all last summer I had tried everything I had went night fishing about 25 times and in total went fishing about 40 times about 35 were for catfish. I had tried everything I fished deep in the day and shallow at night and vice versa. I had used worms, liver, stink bait, cut bait, minnows, soap, I tried chumming the water before fishing I had tried dough bait and pretty much anything u can think of had a few bites but only about 5 all summer. And I couldnt hook them i dont know what to do im looking to the brother hood for help also I had fished in log jams, weeds, cover, docks, and out in the open both day and night. so i need a lot of help:embarassed: :angry: :confused2: :sad2:

2. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    try chaging bodys of water

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    with that much time on the water I'd say its the water way that your fishing thats the problem. I'd definately fish somewhere else if your looking for cats.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, try somewhere else if it's litteraly that tough.

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe fish a local pond or something and catch a few cats to build up your confidence in the sport then think of whether or not you wanna try that body of water again.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Wow sounds like where u fish isnt that good. We could help more if you told us how u rigged up your bait, Definately i would try a leader and slip float to make sure bait isnt hiding in moss.

7. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I tend to agree with everyone else, its probably not so much that you are doing something wrong, its probably more that the water you are fishing is not so good for catfish. I'd give it the 3 strikes you are out. If you go to a lake or pond on 3 different occasions and are not getting decent bites or landing anything move on to the next lake.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Not too familiar with New Mexico or your location. Are you fishing a lake,pond, river or creeks? What are the natural baits,(shad,minnows,crawdads,shiners,creek chubs) in your waters?

Elephant Butte holds the state Blue and Flathead records. So there should be channel cats there too. Stubblefield lake (Maxwell lakes) has the state record channel cat.

First try to locate where they are:

Ive had a lot of success locating channel cats by using a crawdad imitation crankbait lure. This technique can cover a lot of water when trying to locate them. Channel cats will hit this lure if they are feeding.

If you are fishing a lake that has good populations of shad, the shad feed on plankton. Take mental note on wind direction, the wind will push the plankton toward the shore or bank that its blowing against. This is where you will find the shad. Where there is shad, there is channel cats. If bank fishing, fish where the wind is in your face. If in a boat try drifting with a slip bobber at different depths. Channel cats are found at suspended depths more than on the bottom.

Another way of locating shad is watching for birds,( gulls, hawks, kingfishers, waterfowl), feeding on them.

Fresh cut bait work well in my area for channels. Try different baits such as fresh cut bluegills, cut creek chubs, cut shad or whole. Fresh raw shrimp with and without vanilla extract works good. Try using live crawdads or crayfish and leeches from time to time.

Hope this helps some, good luck

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First and most important question, are there cats in the water you fish??

Fishing from the bank seriously limits what you can catch and where you can fish. Not knowing your location limits the helpful information that can be conveyed, but I would suggest trying several different presentations at the same time. Maybe a bobber presentation, a bottom rig, and a bottom rig with a cork to float the bait off the bottom. The more rods the better because then you can vary baits to see what works.

If you can do all this at the same time you can better judge what is working for the area. Trying one thing for an hour is pot luck, because the fish may have moved through when you were using a presentation that they did not like.

10. mudman

mudman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Try a farm pond it will throw fish at you.

11. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Wolfman. Thanks allot for the wind direction/plankton tip. Thats a good bit of info to file away in the old memory banks

12. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hey guys some people asked if there were catfish at all and yes there is, and I have fished all of the water withing 100 miles of raton And never caught a catfish. I fish with either the slip sinker with a liter and a hook and have not slip floated i dont know how lol. but anyway i guess i am doing something wrong but I have friends that have fished the same water and had great luck catching 20 pounders.

13. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

Also there is no small ponds or farm ponds that are anywhere and I dont know the ppl that own them so I would have to go and ask them. But ya there are no other lakes or ponds or rivers or streams any body of water and elephant butte lake is almost 400 miles away.

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hey guys i went to stubblefield again for the first time this year and the water is down a lot about 30ft its weird but I didnt catch anything again.

15. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i think theres not a whole lot of a healthy population of cats their. so i advise you to try a different body of water. there doesnt seem to be enough cats in that body of water that could provide a healthy catch. so try somewhere else!

16. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

Ok I will try that but the problem is there is cats there I know it because u can see the dead ones people took the meat off and left the head, tail, and skin. Also my friends always go to that same lake and catch at least one good one and the state record is there but that was 7years ago in 1999. Yea I will try another area I only have 3 lakes.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u might need to try another fishing hole, or keep until u get some cats.

18. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ya last night when we went I had 4 poles out. one with dough bait, one with cut perch, one with liver, and the other with dough bait prepared liver nuggets.