need help with buying a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fishinphenom, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    So I've been looking into buying a boat..

To start... I've never owned one or have very much experience with them at all. I've fished on a boat a total of 2 times my whole life..

I've been looking into bass boats bc I like the low profile boats with some speed.. but I'd like something a lil more versatile.. something I can also fish for catfish on or take the family out on.. but the boat is primarily going to be for fishing. Or even a bass boat that can be set up for catfishing would be nice. I just dont have any experience with boats to know which direction to go first....

Anybody have any tips or suggestions on what to look for when buying a boat?

Any help would be appreciated..

Ken

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A flatbottom walkaround Mako or Seaark boat.. with a decent "colored" Eagle Cuda depthfinder.. and some rodholders you'll be set! :wink: Dont forget the net. LOL good luck!

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey kenny i have also been asking myself the same question. i have fished out of a 14ft jon boat with a 5hp on it and and i am now interested in looking for a bigger boat for those long trips to the river or a day with the fam on the water i have been looking on craigslist and found alot of boats but i think i may go with an older tri-hull i figured a fishing platform on the front binch sets for bait fishing. also they are alot cheaper than some of the others. let us know what ya end up with.....

4. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When you say family, how many people are you talking about? Are you considering water skiing and tubing? What are all the activities you want to do?

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Main Bodies of water fished will be a big factor in size and style as well. If you plan to fish a large river then a bass boat can work but may be rough and not as stable as some other choices. Will be faster, but a rough ride when anchored if a barge comes by etc. On the Ohio River my buddies I have have Deep V Aluminum Boats....they seem to work well. Ours are 17.5 and 19 footers. They still can haul a fair speed with the proper motor, one of them runs right around 50 MPH. They are not gonna win beauty contests....but for the price they are the boats to rig up for bigger water catfishing IMO. Unless you are spending 30-40k to get a Sea Ark Pro Cat, the Cadillac of cat fishing :smile2::wink:

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The 1st & most important thing is it safe????:eek:oooh: Is it big enough to be safe??? How much $$$ am i willing to spend??? Fiberglass or aluminum??? Rivers, lakes, creeks??? all 3??:tounge_out: How big can i go with my current truck??? All are factors & should be....I went big 20/72 grizzly big cat edition 115 optimax with all the trimmings:wink: What works for me may not work for you...dont buy junk if it's used have a boat mechanic check the motor & you crawl under it inspect the hull....look at the wiring..etc...nothing worse than being disappointed in what ya get:sad2:

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My advice with your advanced experience is to buy a cheap used boat with a good motor. It is easier to sell a cheap boat in this economy. Then, if you really like it, upgrade, and if you don't, either sell, or at least you haven't lost much. First rule of buying a boat... It is a money pit that you pour money into.... Don't get me wrong, I love my boats. Unfortunately, they haven't quite mastered the boat of my dreams which is a boat I can sleep on with an enclosure, goes 75 mph, can ski or tube with, can run on wet grass, doesn't eat a lot of fuel, has rod holders all the way around, has radar/gps/night lights for night time navigation, hmmm oh yeah and one that I can slime up and clean in 10 minutes or less.

I settled for a 2072 SeaArk with a 115/80 jet. I went through a divorce last year and was supposed to sell it. I paid $20,000.00 for it 2 years ago then added my stuff including a $2200.00 Humminbird. My best offer was $9700.00
    I kept it..... :wink:

8. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thank you for all your input.. as far as bodies of water fished I will most likely be fishing lakes and rivers.. probably not alot of the big rivers that have the barges and all..

I am more leaning towards something that I can fish for bass from but also be able to mount some rod holders and do some catfishing... Does anyone have a set up like this?

Skiing and tubing probably not so much.. more like be out on the lake and enjoying the outdoors... probably not more than 3 or 4 people..

and as far as the cost.. since this is going to be my first boat.. I'd like to get something probably pre owned but in really good condition.. something that I can learn on. I'd be willing to pay up to 5k for this boat...

Then once I've gained more experience I'll take the plunge into something really really nice.. cigarette boat with some rod holders on the back or something...

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    What are the positive and benefits of the 2? I also want something that will be able to handle the waves...

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would also recommend taking a boaters safety course..Your state should offer a course or check with the coast guard..

11. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For the number of people, you want to look for boat rated for 6 passengers or more. Boat rating plates use only tiny people or children in the count. You also need enough seating areas and deck space for all the people if you are hanging out on the boat and cruising around. For watersports, you will want power. If you leave skiing out, you can skimp a little on the engine. I think 80-90% of the max rating on the boat is about as low as you would want to go.
    Visit the places you would like to take your boat and see what boats are preferred. Bass boats usually don't hold many people.

12. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    i bought my 1st boat this yr too (no experience either--still cant back the trailer straight, & catch myself trying to use my foot to brake). i bought used & stayed within my limits coz i did not want a boat payment. i went w/aluminum becoz i am a beginner & i figured alum could take some hits that fiberglas might not. found 5 boats that i liked, wrote notes on all to compare them against each other (& the notes help when you go to haggle the price down: "this other boat im looking at has----, what can u do for me"?
    th boat i went w/ is 18' & it handles choppy water just fine (it has a v hull--i would hav preferred deep v, but none on market at the time). it also came w/an stainless steel prop which is a huge plus. it came w/trolling motor & 2 sonars (the previous owner had it fixed up for fishin).
    i took the boating safety course online becoz my ins. gives a discount, & i just needed to know that stuff.
    good luck w/ your search:big_smile: