Need help with bobber stops

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LMHart, Aug 8, 2009.

1. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have tried everything I have found here, but I can not get my stops from sliding while reeling in or while I cast. So right now its impossible for me to set a depth much deeper then 6ft. Seems when I reel in it will slide on the eyes and when I cast. Same thing. I have used everything from rubber bans, mono, string, homemade, store bought but they all still slide. What am I doing wrong?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use a bead that my line will just go thru and then use sewing thread for the stop. Make sure your line will slide thru the bead. The way mine is set up is float, big bead, little bead and the stop. I still have problems if I try to cast a long ways. Be sure and trim the tag ends up close. You may have to retie if you adjust your stop.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Buddy you need to cut the string on the bobber stops as close as you can with out cutting to short. If the strings on the stops are two long they will rap around your rod guides making it impossible to cast.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you've got a pole with little teeny guides, try a different one. Some of the guides are just too small. I only really tie stops on mono, I don't know if they work on braid that well. I use the stop knot that looks like a uni knot. It works well. Three wraps around the main line adjusts easy and four for heavy stuff. I use embroidery thread. It holds pretty well.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've experienced the same problem before.......I now use the pre tied ones, put a small dab of super glue on it just Before you pull it tight.........problem will be solved.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I pre tie mine, like the store bought ones. If your using heavy weights and they keep slipping, and they are trimmed good, then use two bobber stops. side by side.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Go to wild wolf products website ... click on the catfish bobbers and on the page you will find a diagram on how to tie a bobber stop... with this method you can tie a bobber stop with any kind of material ... string ya want and pull it down really tight so that you will not have the problems you are having.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I use the bought ones kinda like a Uni-Knot that come on a small plastic tube you slide the line through then slip off the knot, pull snug. adjust depth, and I pull tight with two pliers then cut tag ends as close as possible to the stop knot. I haven't had problems yet.

9. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I've put the bobber-stops on my line and tied a couple extra knot on it. First few times they won't slide, but I have some that have been on lines for 5 years. They will slide when coming into rod tops.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As posted above you can go to our website and it shows how to tie your own bobber stop knots. http://wildwolfproducts.com/katbob.htm
    You can also tie them up at home on a straw, Then have them ready when on the water. I have good luck with them. Even using a 3 oz sinker and 1 lb bait under one of our 10" Fat Kat Bobbers in the Boils at Pickwick striper fishing . The knot holds for me.
    Pete

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I use the store bought stops, three at a time. Once they are all slid together they don't move much, but are still adjustable by moving them one at a time.

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    When I'm using the Bobber I usually will use two of the stoppers side by side an cut the strings off as close as possible. Never had any troubles with it.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use store bought ones also. When I tighten them, I use a pair of pliers on each end to cinch it down tight then trim the tag end close to the knot. Don't have any problem with them moving after that.

14. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I use the rubber stops from Janns Netcraft and have never had a problem, I have used the thread ones and just don't like em.

Fatman

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I didn't look at the video but I assume its the same knot that I use and have no problems. I tie mine on after the rig is set up and I pull both tag ends with pliers really hard, then trim dead close to the knot......thats what will make all the difference in the world.

I run 65# braid and I just use it for my stop material. On my mono reels I use my leader material, which is 40#. If two knots are needed for super heavy weights use 2 small knots for good results.

You could glue them but then you cant move the bobber deeper, only cut the line and make it shorter...thats the down side to that.

Hopes this helps some.

-Jim-

16. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I bought some nylon upholstery thread from wally world for a buck, double it up and tie a rolling hitch, or as close to as it as I can, usually three or four turns, works like a charm. :wink:

17. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC

Same here, but I haven't fished like this for several years now.

18. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks all for the information. I will have to try this out when I go to catch my bunny eared catfish

19. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I use a section of string out of a piece of nylon braid that I take apart. Tie a knot in each end to keep it from unraveling while I'm tying the stop and I use the uni-knot for the actual stop, use a small bead then a large bead for the knot protectors, then my bobber, then a large and small bead, then swivel and hook then 1/2 to 1 ounce weight that I use for a bottom bouncer to prevent snags and allow for super long drifts even in varying depths of water. This setup seems to work better than the traditional way of using a sliding sinker above the hook, just something I found while playing around one day trying to get a longer drift without getting hung up.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2:

20. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Make sure the knot is TIGHT or what Jim said..