Need help with boat trailer springs!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by SC Hartwell, Apr 8, 2007.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Ok guys my leaf springs snapped in half on my 1962 trailer. The problem is that I cannot find any leaf springs that will fit it. The springs are 40 inches, eye to eye. So what do I do? The biggest I can find 30 inches.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If you can't find the longer springs that fit it you could get the next longest and have the spring brackets rewelded to a new location. You also can probably find a spring shop somewhere in your area. They should be able to make you a custom set to fit your trailer. Good luck to you.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jason just go to the nearest welding shop and carry with you some new shackles for some new 30 inch springs and have the old ones cut off and install the new ones. If you have access to a cutting torch and welder you could do it your self. Those older type longer springs went out a long time ago. The purpose of those long ones were in short to eleminate road bounce but it didn't work quit that way.:tounge_out:

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks guys!! I will see what the sring shop can do!

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    There is a shop in Charlotte called Spring Service and I think they could custom make you a set of springs. They usually have wht I need in stock, but I'm talking big truck applications like dump trucks and stuff. I've had them custom make me some U bolts before and I think they can make custom springs too, but not quite sure. You could look the up and give them a call. I don't have their number right nere with me or you could just have the spring shackles moved. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to do really, just whack off the old ones with a oxy-acetylene torch and then put the springs on the shackles and them weld them to the frame. Any basic welding shop should be able to do it if you don't have acces to a torch and a good welder. Hope this helps you. Having a broke boat/trailer sucks!

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my fishing partner and i had the same problem on a bass tournement at bull shaols lake in arkansas.we finally found a junk yard.with a tape we found a spring the size we needed on an old pickup truck.a little work and 10 dollars we were good to go.hope that helps.