The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me about mixing a can of cheap biscuit dough and hambuger for catfish. I did he instructions he gave me. when I tried it on the river the dough just feel of the hook! I wonder what I need to add to the stuff so it says on the hook for a reason amout of time. Thanks in advance Norb

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,113 Posts
A friend of mine told me about mixing a can of cheap biscuit dough and hambuger for catfish. I did he instructions he gave me. when I tried it on the river the dough just feel of the hook! I wonder what I need to add to the stuff so it says on the hook for a reason amout of time. Thanks in advance Norb
I've heard of hamburger being used with success. I would imagine it would be more of a pain to keep on a hook in any kind of current. I would probably try to use the surgilast that is elastic netting, that is mostly used for chicken livers but believe could be used with hamburger also. Here is some interesting ideas how to keep bait on the hook.
https://www.catfish1.com/threads/keeping-chicken-livers-on-hook.232799/#post-3193791

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,188 Posts
You should stick to natural baits. Just saying I've read alot of your posts and you usually use unnatural baits. I think if you were to use live and cut baits you would do better.
Norb,
Matt is right on it with his statement. In over fifty years of fishing, I have found nothing that out-fishes natural bait overall when fishing in the regular way.
Yes, catfish are opportunists and will sample just about anything with a scent to see if it's edible (which is why things like stink baits & C.M.I.G.P. work) and, while it is possible to "train" them to come to spots that are regularly baited with stuff such as corn etc., first and foremost they will eat a natural bait such as fish - both live and cut, worms etc. without hesitation.

...W

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard of hamburger being used with success. I would imagine it would be more of a pain to keep on a hook in any kind of current. I would probably try to use the surgilast that is elastic netting, that is mostly used for chicken livers but believe could be used with hamburger also. Here is some interesting ideas how to keep bait on the hook.
https://www.catfish1.com/threads/keeping-chicken-livers-on-hook.232799/#post-3193791

I mixed the hamburger in with the biscuit dough i theneven added some flou but it stills falls off. I just wonder what to add so it is sticky to stay on the hook.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norb,
Matt is right on it with his statement. In over fifty years of fishing, I have found nothing that out-fishes natural bait overall when fishing in the regular way.
Yes, catfish are opportunists and will sample just about anything with a scent to see if it's edible (which is why things like stink baits & C.M.I.G.P. work) and, while it is possible to "train" them to come to spots that are regularly baited with stuff such as corn etc., first and foremost they will eat a natural bait such as fish - both live and cut, worms etc. without hesitation.

...W

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The past 2 years getting live bait fish out of the Ohio river near Cincinnati has been difficult. The shad have been hard to find and the Skipjacks even harder to get. I there fore have to depend on what I call my back up baits. Even when my brother and I had skipjack from the bank spot we were at did not get much action. I do have a casting net in my boat so when I see the Shad I get some. Norb

S

·
0 Posts
Check your fishing regs and see what all is a bait option. Are bluegill/sunfish or carp legal?

For example California allows any dead ocean fish as a freshwater bait.

Jim

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your fishing regs and see what all is a bait option. Are bluegill/sunfish or carp legal?

For example California allows any dead ocean fish as a freshwater bait.

Jim
I was thinking of using the dough bait in a lake for current in the river knock it off in a short time. If I can can bait fish Iuse it. It is hard to come by some times so I use what I call my back up baits.

http://cincinnaticatfishing.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts