Need help with big fish!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by whiskers9512, Jul 27, 2007.

1. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Where should a person be fishing this time of year for big blues? Seems like all I can catch is channels and blues up to about 10 pounds. Are the bigger fish going to be in the same spot as the little ones or should i move if I start catching smaller fish
    Thanks for the help!

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have been facing the same delema!!

3. Parker

Parker New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Are you day fishing or night fishing?

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Most people seem to say that the big ones aren't in the same areas as the small ones. I don't know enough from personal experience to say either way but really they CAN be anywhere.

We were catchin fish a few 5 lb'ers, 8's, a 10, a 15, then Boom a 36 followed by a 40 within 5 min.

Was probably mostly luck and mostly accidental. I am quite sure some guys here have it nailed down pretty good how to locate concentrations of big fish.

Fess up guys! (Please PM all info to darryl1):0a31:

5. haden

haden New Member

State:
    Frankford, MO
    The only place we've been able to find is here lately is around the dams.

6. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am fishing mostly at night!
    I have been using live and dead perch and shad for bait!

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There was a tourney in Miami Mo. and I heard a rumor that the big fish were caught in the middle of the river in about 7 feet of water, and heavy current. When I was fishing at Dalton 2 weeks ago, we anchored about 50 feet off the end of a wing dike, drifted down about anouther 20 feet or so, and cast out the back, and caught several small blues. Given more time, I'm sure a biggun woulda come along. All of our fish came from heavy current, or right where the current breaks and just boils up from the bottom. 5 oz. weights would hold it down, but not still. Next time I go, all concentration will be in 8 to 12 feet of water, and the heaviest current I can find. Unless I don't catch any, then it will be back to the drawing board.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i know guys that dont even fish in the heat of the summer even at night because big blues are so hard to find,they are there they are just harder to catch.the bite should get better sept oct.

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I just wish I knew where they were too! I haven't been able to muster up a fish over 20 pounds since April. I was catching nice fish on a regular basis last year. I'm not doing anything different than last year, and I have a lot better equipment to use this year to boot. I've tried everything textbook technique I know and nothing yet?????????????????

10. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I guess i should start from the beginning I'm not sure im even fishing in the right spots. When you guys fish the holes below the end of the dikes do you ty of to the end of it and cast down or anchor at the head of the hole and fish?
    If i fish the sandbars below the dikes how do I determine where to set up? Idont have a really nice sonar unit and I'm not sure if i am locating fish. How deep do u usually fish on the flats?
    I here alot of people say to give it fifteen to twenty minutes, if no bites move. Does that mean to move to a hole new area or just to a different spot in the same area?
    When u guys talk about fishing the current do you mean the outside bends? What should I look for on my sonar when fishing the outside bends or channel?
    This sounds like a lot of questions so I will appologize in advance, but any help would be appreciated I havn't really fished with someone that knows what they are doing . I am just learning from trial and era, which is really started to get discouraging.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Blake,

Don't get discouraged. A LOT of us are having a tough time getting on the fish. I ask a lot of people and get a LOT of the same story.

Sometimes you just have a good day and that makes up for it all.

I get a little discouraged sometimes and think I must be doing everything wrong, or the fish must be somewhere else. They must be tearing them up everywhere that I decided NOT TO GO TO. A lot of other people are thinking the same thing.

Hang in there, have faith. The fish will bite........just 5 more minutes.:tounge_out:

12. hovis223

hovis223 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have always been happy hittin the small ones they are the best eatin. the true fun come from the big boys though