Need help with baitcaster without levelwind!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Unckle Jesse, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A couple of years ago I bought an old Penn reel at a yardsale for $5-10. I dont have it in front of me so I dont know the style #. It doesnt have a levelwind on it. I have never used one like this before. I tried it one time and all it would do is backlash and the line would bind up on the reel. I would really appreciate some info on proper use of this reel.

thanks,
    Jesse

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If I could I'd help ya. Never used one. I know they are real tricky and your thumb plays a really huge part in the process. Good luck to ya.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You probably have a Squidder or Jigmaster. To cast non levelwind reels required a great deal of practice and an educated thumb. You need to adjust the spool tension with the knobs on the side of the reel. The tighter the tension the less chance for backlash. The looser the tension the more distance is available, but higher chance of backlash. When you cast, you must have your thumb ready to apply to the spinning spool if it starts to get away from you. The most important thing is to thumb the spool as soon as the bait hits the water to stop the spool or at least slow it down. If you don't do this, the spool will continue spinning and a birdsnest will occur. When retrieving the line, your thumb must act as a line guide to move the line across the spool to keep all of the line from balling up in one spot. There is no quick fix, just a bunch of practice, you will eventually get a feel for the rate the line is coming off the spool. Good luck.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I've seen lots of the no levelwind reels but what is their advantage?

Cheez

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I visited the Penn Factory way back in the 60's when I was in the navy.I was told that "to build a level wind strong enough to keep big fish from tearing it up would cost a fortune and be so heavy no one would want it"."No one has as yet figured out how to keep sand and salt out of them as they have to be so exposed"."They are a weak link on the reels that have them"."They put them on the smaller reels to sell reels to the people who did not fish often enough to want to learn how to control their line"."It is for the same reasons that they put automatic transmissions and power steering on vehicles".That old gentleman did not like level winds.Sounds like the same reason for all of the casting controls of today.The old "fishermen" had no trouble casting all day with no level wind and no cast control.Face it guys.All of the goodies came along so that the little boys and wanna be's could play with the big boys",according to the "big boys"back then.Children,the severely handicapped and the retarded cast all of those reels.I was one of those children.We all could learn if we wished to take the time to learn.No,I ain;t throwing out my air conditioner! I am just repeating some of what I learned from a old gentleman who took up some valuable time with a young fisherman.The folks at Penn honored me and my uniform while many were fouling it.I wish I had wrote down every word.Yes,I no longer buy Penn.I think we all would still be Penn fans if Penn believed in his values.I am ashamed that I don;t even remember his name.I have never forgotten him.Yes,I use a level wind now.I had to go to them when I started winding my thumb and even fingers up in my reels.My hands are crippled up.Why do you all use them? I am not for or against them or the other additions to reels.I am just repeating the thoughts of others who were knowledgeable in their field at the time.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info guys ! I dug up the reel and it is a #85. The info that I found on it said that it was an entry-level saltwater reel made in the 70's. The majority of the reel is made from Bakelite, it is rather unique looking. I have only seen 2-3 for sale on Ebay. If you guys could, I would like a little technical info on the techniques needed for this kind of reel. Most of what I use are spinning reels (cat maxx CM80) and I have one baitcaster (abu 5000) with the levelwind.

Thanks,
    Jesse

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Depends on which Penn reel you are talking about. Some of them are not meant for casting.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Go to ::: www.pennparts.com :::Check out the whole page.You can find your reel,parts,schematics,etc on that site.If you disassemble and reassemble your reel you might wish to do it with your reel inside of a 2 gallon zip lock bag with a heavy towel laid across your arms and the bag where your arms go in.There are some tiny springs that are known for flying across the room never to be found.I keep a spool of cheap red thread and a pair of needle point tweezers and I take 3-6 inches of thread and run it around,through or whatever anything I might loose and twist it before I try to remove the little stuff.This makes it far easer to find.You can clean soak and leave most of it on until the part is installed.Then remove it with your needle point tweezers that you can pick up at the flea market or many drug departments.If it has set up for a long time,it will need cleaning and lubing even if it has never been used.The old types oil and grease set up hard.As for learning to cast.The old way that I was taught in the 50's that still works great was to put some old or cheap line on it and practice.We were given a old "Ice Pick" to pick out the Birds nest.You normally guide your line with your thumb.Crippled up folk and some very small kids had to figure out how to use their fingers.It is like learning to drive.Once you learn,you do it all without thinking.I have never seen a reel that someone couldn;t cast.I have seen many that someone didn;t want to be bothered or put out the effort to learn.The modern reels will let you cast without having to take the time and effort learn the skills needed to cast the simple reels.Also the more parts,the more you got to break.Have fun.I envy you and your find.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks alot for the info, I will have to get another rod for it and try it again. I guess it would have helped if I had spent some time in the yard first. I'm thinking about reserving this one for balooning if I can't figure out the tricks to casting it.

Thanks,
    Jesse

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

when retreving your line with a fish on do you still have to use your thumb to move the line to keep it from pileing up in one spot or no???

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    always! the real trick is remembering that one of the reels doesent have a levelwind:big_smile: its a nice suprise when you go to recast if you dont:crazy: i rest the line inbetween my thumb and index finger and run it back and forth, its not hard like i said the hardest part is remembering to do it

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep, you sure do. I have one reel that I removed the level wind from and sometimes even to a semi-trained person they can be tricky.:big_smile:

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a Penn that sounds similar to the one you have. It takes some time, but is well worth the effort of learning. It may not have the retrive speed of an abu, but it has some mean crankin' power! With a 2 oz weight, I can get a good 60-75 yd cast. Once you feel comfortable with the spool tension, you can back it off so it is almost non-existant. Just keep constant tension on the spool and don't be afraid to stop the spool. When reeling in or spooling the reel I have my left hand about 8-10 inches infront of the reel and use my index finger and thumb lightly pinched on the line to help guide it back and forth on the spool.

Aaron

TA2D

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have used penn reels all my life so i am good with casting them but the part i cant figure out is retreveing the line with a fish on and getting the line to go on the reel right. i would have one hand on the rod and the other on the handle of the reel ,so which hand is making the line go on right?