Need Help With Anyone Knowlegable With Worms!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Blade4130, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Hi All,

I am so sick of the rain we are getting, but however, tonight turned out to be a good thing. I need help. I was walking my dog around midnight for a quick potty walk since it was only sprinkling. Now I have seen night crawlers before on the sidewalks, etc after a good rain, but not like this. Everyplace was hundreds of them and they were so thick you would pretty much step on one no matter where you walked. So what does a fisherman like me do? "You got it" GO GET AS MANY WORMS AS I CAN!!!:smile2:

I have filled three five gallon buckets so far and I mean they are packed. I have got to break these things down tomorrow or <lol> today when I wake up. Plus, the soil that I put in them is very muddy so I need new soil as well. I never thought about having a worm farm until now as I got so many for free so I would be off to a tremendous start to have a big worm farm. Ok, now for the questions.

How much space do you need per dozon or so worms? If I were to guess right now on how many worms I had I know I would have well more than 500 worms and would not be afraid of saying close to 1000. Some of the worm farms that you can buy from catfish connection, bass pro, etc don't have anything as big as I would need. I personally would make something myself and I want to make it big enough so that I don't have to worry about buying worms again.

I know they need to be kept cool, but do they have to be refrigerated?

Is something like potting soil good for them mixed with damp newspaper? What soil would be the best to use?

I know some people have put coffee grounds to keep their worms alive longer. Is that what I should feed them?

I have both night crawlers and earth worms. The earth worms are much more livelier than the night crawlers. Should they be kept seperate from eachother? growing worms I would much prefer to have the very lively earthworms compared to the crawlers, but I do want to grow both.

Thats all the questions that I can think of for now. Any answered and any more info from some of you worm experts out there would be greatly appreciated:smile2:

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I am no expert, but there are several good threads in the members library that talk about making and maintaining good worm beds. Good luck with this, I hope it works out for you.

3. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guy:big_smile:

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I bought a worm farm from Bass Pro and use it. It keeps 12-15 doz worms happy. I have a refrig out in the garage that I put them in and sprinkle worm food in them every now and agian. I think you'll need a much bigger operation but I think that you get the drift.

5. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    One mistake I learned already was not use potting soil. Some of the containers that had potting soil in them, the worms started looking worse. I broke everything down and completly seperate the crawlers from the earth worms. I've got good dug up soil mixed with damp newspaper, some egg shells and potato skins. Those worms that was mixed with the potting soil are already coming back to life 100%. I plan on going to a couple of garden places to get a full fledge five ben worm habitat farm. I plan on trying to grow and re-produce the earthworms as those don't need to be refrigerated. Plus, those earthworms are much more livelier and all around better juicier worm than those crawlers. The next time I go fishing I am going to set one pole with crawler and the other one with a earthworm and see if I can see for myself if they would prefer one to the other.

6. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good luck with your operation. I always have at least one rod loaded with crawlers when I go out. Both my PB channel and flat were caught on crawlers. Maybe you can start a new enterprise!

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Let me know how that went for ya. I actually just did that and the crawlers out caught the bream. I will keep doing it to better test my results also.

IMO ...............
    I avoid earth worms because they are to small and come off the hook easier. Typical earth worms are to skinny and the hook often splits the worm when it wiggles. The worms also tend to water log ( that pale look they get )faster than crawlers.

If yas want a hardier worm use try the European Crawlers instead. I would sell them crawlers you catch and go buy the Euro worms before summer comes around again. Canadian types aren't to harder to raise during cooler months but come summer the are.

I'm also getting ready to fire up the worm farm again. I've been raising them for reptile food and fishing since I was a kid ; )

-Jim-

8. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Hey Jim, maybe I should send you a picture of them. You are not the first to tell me that earthworms are small. These are not at all small and are bigger than my night crawlers. The average length without being stretched is 4 - 6 inches with bigger girth. When the light hits them, they also have a colored rainbow glare to them. Thats the only way I can explain it anyway. These also seem to be tougher when put on a hook. I have never seen these worms before so I thought they were earthworms. They sure aren't small and most certainly not river or sod worms so I figured they were earthworms. I have looked on-line and still haven't seen a picture of what I have. I have seen some that were fairly close. Also another thing about these worms that I think is kinda neat really. They have a large mouth that comes in and out of the end. They also have a big pinkish or some peach colored band on them. Man, I have so much to do today and I will be going fishing tonight. If not tonight then tomorrow I will take a picture of them and with them next to the crawlers so you can see the size of these. The biggest one that I found was nearly twelve inches long. You barely touch these things and they wiggle like crazy.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Short term, anything that they can crawl around in will work, like sawdust, some potting soils, Peat Moss, worm bedding (mostly just ground newspaper)

Longer term the problem is keeping the moisture level right, too dry and they are not happy, too wet and they will die and rot. Cool is also good. I've had my best luck with the peat moss. As for food they can eat almost anything organic.

Lawn clippings, coffee grounds, tealeaves, last nights salad, they tend to be not fussy.

As for containers, if it was me I'd find a barrel and cut it in half. So you get 2 tubs.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Don,

Sounds good, send me a pic when you have the time. I cant promise I know what it is but I will try.

G'luck fishing ; )

-Jim-

11. fisherman63650

fisherman63650 New Member

State:
    missouri
    go to a saw mill and get some older saw dust and mix a little dirt but dont put to many together , the sawdust really fattens them up but make sure its knot green or pine ,ceder or wallnut. hope it will help

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Several things I have learned form trial and error...I.e. killing all the worms. 1]

13. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    1}your'e better off too dry than too wet. 2] styrafoam specimen coolers work great as worm condos. 3]don't put too many in each container if you have 750-1000 worms you might need 7-10 containers. 4] you can feed commercial worm food,coffee grounds, sawdust,compost or tater chips just don't feed too much. 5] use them liberally 4-5 bigguns on a 4/0 or 5/0 j hook nothin that swims won't eat a big golf ball sized gob of nightcrawlers. 6] check them frequently and remove any dead or sickly looking specimens immediately before they contaminate the rest of the specimens .Good luck man

14. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks Eric, after having them for nearly a month most were dying or not doing so well. I gave a bunch to a freind and let the rest go in the yard the other night. I think I will just stick to buying them:roll_eyes: instead of having a worm farm. Thanks for all the help that was given to me from everybody:smile2: