Need help with Abu 4500C

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by AzHeadHunter, Aug 8, 2009.

1. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey list,

I took my reel apart to clean and know I'm stuck!!! I can't figure out how to put the springs back together on the handle side of the reel.

If some one could please take a picture of the inside of the reel it would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    JD

Attached Files:

2. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Been there, done that, bought the Tee-shirt. :smile2: Now, I have the schematic in hand, and make notes, *before* dis-assembly. This is like leaving your headlights on...you only tend to do it once.

This brake plate technology is over 20 years back, but it still works well.

The larger of the 2 springs "friction-fits" on the bulged dome-hole-uprising on the top of the pinion yoke,up front. It just hunkers down on the bulge.
    The smaller of the springs, and it's little hold-down keeper fit on top of the pinion yoke at the rear of same, on the pinion post, on the brake plate, right where you have it placed in your pic. Place spring on top of the pinion yoke, compress, and slip the keeper into position, to hold it all together.

**Use extreme caution** when re-assembling this part...I suggest you do it in a giant ziploc bag, or other plastic style. Both the spring and the keeper will enter low earth orbit in case of "slipsies"...(ALSO been there, done that, bought _several_ t-shirts....)

Remember to check the orientation of the clutch arm...it needs to slip underneath the brass retainer on the RH side. The clutch arm is subject to wear over time, which can be seen as brass showing through the chrome at the slot where the pinion yoke and the clutch arm meet.
    This is the point directly underneath the larger of the 2 springs. When it wears a whole lot, the pinion cannot get jacked up high enough for you to get to free spool. It's not a spendy part.

See that tiny little "upbend" at the end of the clutch arm? over time, it wears, and your reel may be sluggish in returning to reel mode from cast mode. You can get by for a little while by carefully re-bending **just the little upright** to a steeper angle, so it can better catch the cogs of the driveshaft, to kick 'er loose.

Hope this helps. Good fishin and fixin. KD

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Oops...ran out of edit time.... I forgot to advise that the baby spring is tapered, as seen in your pic......put the skinny part down, and the fat part up towards the keeper. You can probably see that right off, but it may as well get written in. KD

4. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Guys,

I got her all put back together and had her in use at the lake. It seem to be functioing good. LOL

Thanks
    JD