need help with a rig please help.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Montgomery, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm going fishing tonight . and the damn i'm going to is very snaggy. pretty deep to. but almost every time i cast out . i get hug up. i usually go 3 0z no roll. prefer 2 oz but dont got any.bead swivle leader bait. but i wanted to try a 3 way swivel and make a long drop line of weaker test. with my sinker. so you know only my sinker and light line would get hung up. then break off . but i could still keep my hook and stuff. can anyone please tell me how to rig this up properly. how long of a drop line. how long for my liter with my bait. how easy is it . how do you fish it the right way. ect. i really need some tips and pointers. i want to use this tonight . but i dont want to waste my night either. is there any other rig or other way to fish this area. sorry put this in wrong area. apologise !!!!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Consider usein a slip float rig for this area. It will allow you to avoid losein a ton of tackle.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    the old dam i was wanting to fish tonight. has a little current to it . how do you use a slip rig in current . i thought about it to. likw weight on bottom. a few feet up my bait. then my slip float on top. is this possible in the river ?????

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    dont laugh but I dont use over a 1-1 1/2 oz slip at our damb and you can peep in my photo album to see a little of the lay.....philosophey - get er out and drop her to sink gentley ! the current is moderate to heavey adjusting accordingly.....I am finding less weight is better in alot of cases...I still get hung and loose tackle but not like that anchor on the end of my line...JUST MY OPIONION!

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I fish heavy current and riprap banks quite a bit. For fishing heavy current with lots of snags I use a 3-way with lite sinker line. First and foremost I have to use enough weight to hold on bottom. When I cast out and blow down river I get hung everytime. I look for eddies where straightline current is disrupted and backs inward, rotates swirls etc. I use about 12-15 inches of lite line (10 lb. mono) going to my sinker and 6 inch heavy 100 lb. Braid to hook line. This "sinker scarificer" rig works. My weight has broken away when I've hooked fish. And of course when I just get snagged up. I cast out, let it sink, tighten my line and wait wait wait.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Keep in mind that if your going to use a 3 way system then have your sacrificer line longer than the line to your bait. This way there is less twisting in your lines when you cast. If your line to your bait is longer than the line to your weight, the weight will wrap itself around your line to your bait when you cast. If you reverse it and have your line to your weight longer than the line to your bait, it will very seldom wrap the 2 lines up. Just a little tip.