Need help with a little wiring problem.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by papabear108, Apr 18, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Can someone give me some advice or "how to" about wiring? I have two water pumps (bait and livewell), and three drop lights that I use on an extra battery in the pontoon boat. The problem is that they all use alligator clips. I make it work, but it strikes me as a major hazard on the boat. On the console there are a couple of accessory switches, but they run off of the main battery. I am thinking of building a small box that houses the battery, breaker box, and toggle switches in order to make my wiring more safe and user friendly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian:smile2:

2. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA

3. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks spider. That is what I am trying to accomplish.

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Why not try something like this http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html
    Ok, the link didn't go directly to the item. select fuses and fuse blocks on the left blue menu section and it will pull them up.

You could mount it at a convenient location and then hook it up to your auxiliary battery. You could even use the current auxiliary switches you talked about, just remove the power source from the switch and hook up a power source from one of the terminals off the new fuse block. Either find where the lead goes to and route it to the item you want to power or run a new lead off the switch. If you need more switches, all you need to do is drill a small hole and put in another one. Wiring is not nearly as hard as people think. Where mistakes are made are in the connections. Be sure to use quality connections and make sure you have a good ground and you should be good to go.

I wrap my connections to keep out moisture to prevent failure. I put a coating of liquid electrical tape on them and then wrap it with friction tape. The friction tape seems to hold better and does a better job of keeping out moisture. Be sure to put a protective coating on your battery terminals too.

5. Fishlind

Fishlind New Member

State:
    Lexington County, SC
    If you can access the wiring on the back of the switches, you can use the switches you already have. First, remove the positive(hot) wire from the switch. Second, replace with a new positive lead from the other battery. Finally, add the wire for the accessory you wish to control with the switch.

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You can get a fuse panel from Blue Sea. It is about the safest way to go and a 6 circuit one is like $20 on ebay. Make sure you get the one with the negative bus. That way you don't have to run a bunch of ground wires back to your battery. It also comes with a nice cover and some labels so you can label your circuits if you ever have to trouble shoot them later.

You would run you battery POS and Battery NEG to the panel. Unhook the wires that are currently on the accessory switches. Then run a wire from one of the POS circuits on the panel to you accessory switch. The run a wire from the other terminal on the accessory switch to water pump #1 Positive wire. Then run a wire from Water pump #1 negative wire back to one of the negative buses on the panel. Do the same thing for the other switch and pump #2. You may have to mount another toggle switch somewhere for your drop lights. Then repeat the process to wire them up. The first picture is a 12 circuit panel, but the 6 circuit is the same just less fuses. This is the safest way to go and all circuits are fused and have a common junction point.

Attached Files: