Need help with a Blackpowder gun I know nothing about.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by whiteriver, Dec 1, 2009.

1. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I bought a BPI Connecticut Valley Arms MagBolt 150 Made in Spain 45 cal. 1:28 twist rifle with a Bushnell 3-9 power scope that has no markings other than "Bushnell. The scope looks cheap. The guys said he hunted with it one time missed the biggest buck of his life, it stood there until he reloaded and tried to get a primer in it twice. Just as he got the primer in the third time it ran off and he could not get a shot. He put it in his closet and it has been there ever since. I asked him if it was loaded and he could not remember. There is some heavy ruse on the end of the barrel and down in the barrel. How do I check to disarm it, try to shoot it? How do you get it apart to see if it can be cleaned out and how would you take care of the barrel if it is badly rusted, as I expect it is. Oh, by-the-way, I have never had a blackpowder rifle before. Was $50 too much to pay for a gun in this condition?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    what type of action is it? If it is a bolt action remove the bolt and you can see if there is an obstruction in the barrel. I dont know too much about blackpowder rifles, i have one shot it 3 times now it just sits i the gun safe

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    did you pay with monopoly money ? :big_smile:DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT IT !:crazy:Run the ram rod down the barrel mark it .then hold it next to the barrel see how far along it is should answer if it is loaded or not. if it is you can get a screw attachment for the ram rod to get the ball out. then sell it along with the fishing stuff.:wink:then i will hook you up with a propper muzzle loader!

4. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    no it is not to much:smile2:

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Earl your powder and bullet will take up space in the barrel. Without
    a cap on the nipple put your ram rod in the barrel and let it go as far
    as possible down the barrel, mark the ram rod with a pencil at the
    end of the barrel. Now pull you ramrod out and hold the ramrod next
    to your barrel and line up your mark with the end of the barrel and
    the long end going toward the breech plug. If the rod goes to the breech
    plug its unloaded if it likes an inch or more it is probably loaded.
    On most in-lines you can screw out the breech plug if you remove
    the barrel from the stock. If you can take the breech plug out you
    can push your load out with the ramrod. If not you may be able to
    pull your bullet with ball puller on a cleaning rod. If you knew that
    nimrod did not double load you could shoot it out. If it is corroded
    and rusted it may be hard to get out. If you have a hard time I would
    put oil in the barrel and let it soak a few days. If you have access
    to an air compressor you can try to remove the nipple and rig up
    someway to blow it out with air. I have heard of doing this but I
    have never done it myself. Good luck with it.

6. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Thanks Poppa; Bubbacat is giving me a short course through PMs. Between your post and his, I should be able to get this done. It is an inline and I am going to try to take it apart tomorrow and see what the damages are. Thanks again.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Earl,you got some top notch info there,Reps to you both,Now as for the price,I would have given twice that much,I want an inline in.45 in the worst way .:wink::smile2:

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've got a couple good .50 calibers, but I sure would like to find a .32 caliber for small game.

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Here is what I came up with today. I fiddled with the breach bolt for about an hour before getting on the computer and finding a thread that told me how to remove it. I figured with my luck I could not get the breech plug out, but just a little heavy pressure it came right out. I took the ram and punched out the barrel, and you see here that it was loaded with three pellets of black powder and a bullet with a plastic band around the base, a sabot I guess. The barrel does not look too bad, I don't see any pits but it is caked with powder. The B. plug had some rust on the face of it and I used a Dremil to buff it off. I looked and could not see through it so I took a real fine brass wire and cleaned it out to where I could see and blow air through it. It sure is a small hole though. looks round so I guess I have it cleared. Tomorrow I am going to swing by the gun shop and get some bore cleaner and cleaning kit to work on the barrel lining and some of the "butter" I was told about. That must have been what was on the breech plug, a heavy whitish yellow substance. I will buff the bolt off where it has some very light rust and see where I go from there.

Attached Files:

10. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Do you think I would need a new breech plug with that pitting? :embarassed:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Earl,I wouldn't worry about the pitting on the plug,it doesn't look all that bad .

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Buy some Blackhorn 209 instead of the blackpowder or the mentioned substitutes. Blackhorn shoots clean and does not rust a gun. makes smoke like crazy but is 100% non corrosive. Cleans up with any petroleum based solvent just like your shotgun or any other rifle you own. No need for bore butter or special treatments. By the way. Heck of a deal on your gun. Enjoy. Muzzle loading is a ball.

13. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Thanks, I didn't think so but thought I should ask. :big_smile:

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if you use the pellets in it really dont think you need 3 2 pellets will kill any thing you want

15. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    don't worry about pitting the only thing you need is the grease for breach plug, not bore butter, but you can get that too. the ring on the bullet is a gas seal ,not sabot, i don't like that pointed bullet. i like a slug like designed bullet (better expansion ).

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    It's hard to beat the Powerbelts with the plastic tips. Since Kenneth turned me on to them, I've shot at least 10 deer with them, out to about 250 yards, and they knock the slop out of them. I can't see me ever shooting anything else. I see they have a hollow point now, but I see no reason to change.

17. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    in the .45 they seem real hard to get down the bore :embarassed:but it could just be my rifle.:sad2: but they do look cool. :big_smile:how about powder? pellets or loose ?100 gr is more the enough don't you think.

18. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    The scope sounds as though it may be a Bushnell "Banner". Look for the Banner name (probably faded) on one of the caps for windage and elevation adjustments. Hope this helps.

Ray

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Looking good Earl. The hole in the breech plug looks good. They are small. I would say this gun was made to shoot up to 150 grns of powder and no more. Try differeny loads between about 90 and up and see what shoots the best. Good buy!!

20. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I switched because the sabots were so hard to get down the barrel after a few shots. These are real easy in my Ruger, even after 10-12 shots. I use 100 grs. of Black Powder or loose Pyrodex. It's probably overkill since, even with a double shoulder shot, I've never recovered a bullet. They go clean through and leave a mean exit wound. However, I hunt in bear country so I like to be prepared.