Need Help with 1970 9.9 Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by river1214rat, Jun 15, 2008.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    This motor has been progressively getting harder to start. last week had a neighbor who is experienced with these motors look at it. He filed and reset the points, took her out and ran like new. Took her out yesterday, started then quiet. After numerous attempts brought her home. Took the top off of the motor, plugs were wet. Dried them off, replaced, put motor in bucket with water and tried to start. There is no firing to the plugs, cannot get it to spark even by putting a screwdriver into the plug wire. We had already gone down the list by checking gas, gas hose connected, couldn't find anything grounding out. Any suggestions???

Thank you...
    Linda

2. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    There are many advantages to living in a river town and one of them is that the majority of the folks know how to work on an outboard motor. Got her fixed!! Thanks to any that read my first post...
    Linda

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well.................What turned out to be the problem?

4. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Sometimes it is the littlest thing, my fishing buddy/home made mech. swore it was getting gas and the plugs weren't firing, my neighbor came over to help. It WAS firing and it WASN"T getting gas. We have cottonwood trees which are a mess this time of the year. Some of the cottonwood mess got into the connector that snaps into the motor. Cleaned it out and like magic it started!!! Thank God for good neighbors!

Linda