Need help ... What is this?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Naack, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Ok so i posted this 33lb6oz for east vs west point... i have some better pics of it it didnt seem like a normal Flat to me the body seemed to muscular and the head seemed to small and not flat enough i think its a Blue but ive never cought 1 and never heard of 1 comming from the Mon.... i had been awake for over 30 hours when i cought it and had to get my brother in law to the airport so i had to get going .... but take a look and tell me what ya think it is please!

Attached Files:

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Shawn,

That looks to be ne of the biggest channel cats I've seen coming out of PA waters. Adult channels will loose their spots and look all old when they get that big.

That is a serious trophy fish.

How much did it weigh? I'm guessing around 20.

Monster flats and monster channels.

You are the Monogahela Master!

3. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Sadly if it weighed 20 i wouldnt feel so bad .... but it weighed in at 33lbs 6oz... so now i feel real bad lol

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Shawn if that thing weighed 33lbs, you just missed the state record by about 2 pounds!

The state record channel cat is like 35lbs caught in the Lehigh River long time ago. The thing should not count cause it was stocked for a catfish tournament.

In my book, Naack has the state record channel cat!

Awesome fish Shawn, you ROCK!

5. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA

thats why i feel so bad ... i ruled out channel cat cause of its pure size i never thaought for a second that the fish was a channel cause it was so heavy... thats why i was thinking it was a Blue... i have a better pic in the East vs west thread of the size relating to me.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THE REAL WAY IS TO COUNT THE FIN IF IT HAS MORE THEN 23 RIBS I WOULD SAY THAT WAS A BLUE, EVEN LOOKING AT THE PIC IT LOOKS TO HAVE THE BIG HEAD SO THAT IS WHY I WOULD SAY THAT IT MIGHT BE A BLUE, ANYWAY THAT'S A NICE FISH, GOOD LUCK FISHING:big_smile:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Shawn if that is a channel cat my god...It does like a channel to me but I suck at identyfing fish species...That thing must of fought like a train...Did you notice a difference in the way it fought...Congrats on that...

8. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Well it hit Strong and took about 90 yards of ling before i could get it out of the rod holder... i had to just hold the rod while it was in the holder... it took 3 Long hard runs after hook up and it moved Alot faster than any flat i have cought ... before i landed it i thought i was going to have a record flat ... then i was a bit dissapointed when i landed it being only 33 lbs but boy what a fight!

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The fish looks like a channel cat. But the fin under neath looks like a blue. I wander do the 2 species cross breed? If so it might be a hybrid.:crazy:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sean I figured it would be a "harder" fight than a flat of comparable size...I have tried to capture a 20lb before but biggest i could pull out of here was 15lbs...Iam sure if you realized at the time that it could be a channel I am sure you wouldn't have been dissapointed...But jumping for joy i know I would..

11. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i was jumping for joy at the same time dissapointed ... what a Great fight from a Great fish only reason i was dissapointed is i thought by the size of the fight i would be rewarded with 1 hog of a Flat but im just Happy with a Great fish and as usual a sucesful CPR :big_smile:

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    thats a beasty channel cat.....good job! -bassmassey

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A 33lb channel cat will kick a 33lb in the arse anyday!

That fish doubles my PB channel at 14lbs.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That's gonna be hard to beat that for braggin rights.

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Shawn, about two and a half years ago my buddy and i were fishing above the lock at charleroi and he caught a fish that looks the same as yours, his weighed in at 20 pounds. i think his was a channel as i think yours is too. i don't know how far down river you caught that fish but i have heard tell of people catching some smaller blues up this way all the way down behind mitchell power plant.they were no way near that big. i have caught them up to 10 pounds below the lock but you could tell the difference in the coloration. post it up on the blue cat forum and see what those folks think.

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Shawn, if my buddy ever e-mails me the pictures of our fish i will post the pic of the one i was talking about.

17. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA

Thanks for the Idea ... it was a beast of a fish and its shear size i ruled out channel cause i was sooo tired and had to go to the airport or i woulda takin more pic's or taken it to a certified scale but it didnt look like a channel i have ever cough before.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Shawn's channel will be one of the biggest channels caught in the US this year.

I'm still amazed at that fish.

It's an equivalent to a 70lb flathead or 15lb bass.

I only thought fish like that lived in the Red River, Canada.

19. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    that is an amazing fish shawn! congrats again!

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Shawn that is what my buddy thought. because it was so big he never thought that it could be a channel. i had never seen one in person that big either but it had all the characteristics of a channel just no spots. he is working two jobs now so it is really hard to get a hold of him but we are supposed to head out fishing this weekend so i will try to get that pic then. because that anal fin is rounded like that that is why i think it is a channel cat and so was my buddies.