Need help w/ calls

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mudfather, Dec 17, 2006.

1. mudfather

mudfather New Member

State:
    iowa
    i am new to duck hunting and interested in spending the next few months learning to call.. looking for suggestions and recommendations on what call to start with so that i may learn how to call to get the ducks come in. plan on hunting the mississippi river between iowa and illinois. many help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd check out Haydel's Game calls they offer all weather type calls in just about every imiginable type

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Duck calls are hard to buy via a catalog, you need to go somewhere you can blow them. However RNT is my personel favorite. I like the Old style, short barrel & timbre call. Get the 3 disk RNT instructional set & practice, practice, practice.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

dial the area code first. Oh you meant duck calls I have no idea

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    When i first started i was buying calls once a week I started with the old time fav A olt which is no longer being made but there is a company that makes them now, I must have about 30 calls ranging form 5$ on up and all types poly, wood ect. after a while i pulled all the call out of my blind box and keep just the one i felt had the best sound for the area i hunt, all are wood, There are many dvd on how to call this is a great way to get started, ounce you get the patterns down keep a call in you car/truck and pratice, I use to take the call fishing with me and lissen to the ducks and try to repeat them, and also try to calling in to you while your fishing, I belive there is no law saying you can't call ducks off season, good luck

6. mudfather

mudfather New Member

State:
    iowa
    thanks for the advice..will try to call when i see them on the river and experiment and practice with it thanks too all.

7. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Hey mudfather like everyone has said there are hundreds of duck calls on the market and i too have bought many in my experimenting stages. what i have found in duck calls is true acrosss the board YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! There are cheap calls made of polycarbonate there are medium priced calls and there are expensive calls made of expensive wood or acrylic. My suggestion is to start off with a mid range call buying cheap won't teach you anything because no matter what they wont sound like a good call!! Echo calls makes a gerat beginer call that costs about 30 dollars called the trash talker. It sounds good and is easy to blow. Duck calls come in single or double reed and the double is what you want for a beginer period!! hope this helps

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Deffinately start witha double reed call and listen to the ducks in your local lakes or rivers once you learn what they sound like set up a tape recorder about 25-35 yards away and keep blowing your calland listening to the tape until you sound like what a duck sounds like. It is hard to judge what you sound like until you listen to it like they do. This is what really helped me.

9. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Go to Haydels website. You can order a kit that includes a good detail of how to use calls and the different types of calls. There calls really are made with the hunter in mind. The kit also includes a DR-85, which is a very good call for the beginner and the old timer.

10. SEMOcats

SEMOcats New Member

State:
    Jackson, Missouri
    Pureduck.com

get his CD and his call. You won't go wrong!

11. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also have a couple dozen calls, and keep going back to the Haydels! They probably wont win many calling contest, but I know for a FACT that ducks LOVE the dr-85 and the "redleg", vari-tone double reed, etc.and the list goes on. This last weekend was the end of the Arkansas season, and after I had my limit(7:15) I just put everything up and called some ducks and watched there reaction! The DR-85 goes for about $15.00 and is worth 10x that much! Ive hunted with guys that do ALOT of calling contest and (they use single reeds because of clean tone and range of the call for tournaments) when there HUNTN they use double reeds, because of rasp and volume, so there you have it. The bottom line is try to blow different calls and see what you like. Duck calls are like cars and trucks, everyone has likes and dislikes and its a "personal" thing! I hope this helps, cause you can invest alot of time and"money" in calls that you wont end up even using! Take Care.

12. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Personally I
    'm a big fan of the RNT calls. The Short barrel is my favorite and will run you around $75 in wood. But they also make a cheaper call that is called the Quackhead that sounds great for the money. They also have a set of cds that give great calling advice. I disagree wit hthe notion of starting with a double read. To me thats just more pieces to try and tune and if you are a beginner you are going to want to keep it simple. Just remember, a duck call is a musical instrument. You Play it... YOu don't blow it.

13. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    For a beginner, Haydels is the best call you can get. I would start cheap. Don't get a $200 call and then end up hating it. As you get better you start noticing different things such as tone and pitch, once you master the technique, then I would strait looking at more expensive hand made calls. You can get wood or acrylic. RNT, Echo, and Foiles are great calls. I use a green diamond wood Foiles strait meat migrator and I absolutely love it. But try them all to see what fits you best. Good luck! In Mississippi you might not even have to call them in!!

14. catfish_hooker

catfish_hooker New Member

State:
    indiana
    An easy call to learn on is an ECHO double reed timber. If you want to get good you gota practice..practice...practice....& then practice some more.