Need help, seriously screwed up impeller change!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SC Hartwell, Dec 31, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Hi, I am disassembling the lower unit on my 1962 evinrude! I have gotten into the gear case and beleive I have screwed the whole entire thing up. I haven't unhooked the shifter rod, is that the reason why I cannot get the gears back into it! This has gotten me really depressed, I need some serious help. The engine is 40 hp.

Thanks, Jason

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You haven't taken the gear case apart have you? There is or should be a phillips head screw down toward the lower part of the gear case itself and by no means take that out or loosen it up.

If you can ease the lower unit down any there should be a brass fitting with two bolts in it and you have to remove one of them to drop the lower unit. I take the bottom one out my self and it is very tight to get into. I'll see if I can fine you a picture to post on here showing what I am talking about.

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I took the gear case apart! That's why I am so screwed! What should I do? Should I just by a new lower unit with the gearcase intact inside of it

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Not sure about the bottom end of a boat motor,but if those gears are fitted on a shaft that has a slotted groove. Check the gears and see if they have different size slot pins,if so they will only go in until the slot pin bottoms out. If this is the case then check the order your putting them back in. The smallest pin should be the 1st and then work your way up.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jason, I have no idea where Pickens SC is. The best solution I can give you is to carefully box all that stuff up and get your butt up here to Supply NC and I'll reassemble it for you.

I'm about 30 miles north of Myrtle Beach SC. When can I expect you?

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    BobPaul Can I ship it to you? I am just too far from myrtle beach. I am in upstate SC. I appreciate the help sooo much guys

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    It would be great if I could see a picture

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It'd be easier if I shipped you the manual.

This book is out of print and I'll require a 125.00 deposit.

That's what I paid for it. I may never find another one like it. It covers all the engines made by Johnson, from the beginning to 1964.

I'll refund the deposit, less shipping costs, when it's returned.

I'll even mark the pages you'll need to do this yourself.

If you would rather ship it to me, that would be fine too. Maybe we could meet somewhere?

9. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I found a repair manual for my model evinrude, I just don't feel confident enough to work on it now that I have gotten into this mess. I got the lower unit down but it will not disconnect from the rest of the engine. I tried to make the lower unit go back to the rest of the body but it acts like it is hitting something. I have a rebuild kit coming for it, which includes a new impeller, carb kit, and other stuff. I would really like for you to work on it since that is your profession. We can meet somewhere if you want. Just let me know what you think i should do.

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Bob I just looked you up on google earth and it says that we are 5 hours apart. I don;t want you to have to drive anywhere. I have been trying to find some local guys but they just say that the engine is a little to old. So frustrating!

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take the 5 hr drive then. It'll be cheaper than paying someone to fix it.

It'd be good if you could go into that manual and learn how to get the lower unit disconnected.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    My manual should be coming this week, I payed like 40 for it. It is for 60's evinrudes and johnsons. If I cannot get it back into working shape then I will drive it down to you! I was able to get the gears back together and back into the gearcase, I just have to get the screw aligned with the shifter that controls forward and reverse gears. Any tips guys, I have gotten this far putting it back together, I just need to figure out how to get pin in.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get the thing off the engine. Turn it upside down and you can do it.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    WAIT!!! Hold on, don't do a thing until your manual gets there.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bob empty your PM box.

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's been empty since this morning.

Just got a pm from Peewee

17. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys while were on this subject. I have a 1974 70hp evinrude and it was the first engine i have ever owned. 5 years ago i was gonna change the lower unit oil. I didn't know you could fill it from bottom so i was like how the heck am i gonna put oil in it with plug in bottom. Then i thought that Allen screw in side was a air vent to let you fill it from top. Well i removed the set screw and realized you have to fill it from bottom. I screwed the screw back in and it went it farther than it was original all the way till it leaked water in my LU around the screw. I posted on another forum back then and a guy told me to just put the screw back to where it was and locktite it. He said if the bearing would have moved the screw wouldn't have went back in. I been running the boat for 5 years and never have a problem. Am i OK or could i be in trouble to later on down road?

18. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Yeah How will I put oil back into the gear Case? When I take the lower unit off will I be able to just pour the oil into the gear case?

19. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Try Tim over at long's marine Dont know what he would charge but he seems knowledgeable. There number is 287-9064

20. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    you put oil back in by taking bottom drain plug and top air screw out and filling it from bottom with a hand pump you can pick one up at local walmart in boating section for $7