Need help selecting left handed reel for beginner

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by darkthirty, Mar 22, 2008.

1. darkthirty

darkthirty New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hi
    I have a problem and am hoping some avid fishermen out there can help me. My grandson is sixteen and left handed. Through all my attempts of trying to get him interested in outdoor activities the computer has always won out until about a month ago. He decided he wanted to fish. He told me he had always liked fishing so we have started. He is using a Abumatic 375 left handed reel I purchased for him from Cabelas, but it continues to stay tangled up and is now not reeling in right. Any suggestions for a trouble free left handed reel for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

2. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    zebco 733 would be a good a choice for catfish in a spincast.they are convertible for left or right handed.my girlfriend has been using one for 2 yrs now and has landed some nice fish with it.you can get them at walmart as a combo for around $35 or you can get the reel alone for for around $20.00.also zebco 33 is a good one all the new one are convertible just like the 733.you can get the combo at walmart for $20.00.hope this helps.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Are you talkin spinnin or conventional reel?

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    pretty much all spinning reels can be switched from right to left handed retrieves. as far as baitcasters go, i have 2 Abu Garcia 6601 C4's that are left handed retieves and i like them alot. if he is not used to using a bait caster, they can be pretty tricky to learn, but once you get the hang of it, you wont want to use anything else.

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    A good spinning reel is the ticket, as they can swithh to left hand in about 2 minutes.... If he wants a conventional, a left hand drive reel can be found, but think that can be a bit of a hassle...

6. darkthirty

darkthirty New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hi
    I would like to thank each of you for taking the time to respond to my question. It had been several years since I had purchased reels and was not aware that most today have interchangeable handles. Your responses were extremely helpful. I look forward to exchanging ideas with you all again and also thanks to your advise I am now looking forward to being able to keep my grandson interested in fishing and the enjoyment of making lasting memories with him.
    Thanks again

7. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    get the child a spinning reel that lets you switch the reel handle to either side of the reel, dont gotta be expensive, after all hes a biginner, wait till he gets knowledge under his belt, hope this helps:big_smile:

8. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i too am a lefty and i use every abu baitcaster that they make in the right handed model. I just had to get used to it. I can hit a milk jug wit ha hlaf ounch jugyead at 30 yards casting. no problem.