Need help rigging boat with battery for aux power.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by alopez, Oct 22, 2009.

1. alopez

alopez New Member

State:
    Utah
    I have a 14ft Lowe flat bottom boat with a 9.5hp Evinrude gas motor. I recently purchased this boat and I need help as in how to add a marine battery to be able to power spot lights and maybe some lights for night fishing along the edges. If anyone can help me out as in step by step instructions on how to add this to my boat I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm not too great on step by step stuff, but I can toss you a few ideas.
    First, you want the biggest deep cycle marine you can possibly squeeze in the boat.
    Second, keep it a separate system from everything else.

Once you figure out WHERE you want things located and start wiring, here's something we did..........Once we located where we wanted every thing, we used heavy duty EXTENTION CORDS for wires, then ran them through 1/2 inch pvc pipe. pipes were glued to the floor or bracketed to the sides with plastic holders and single screws above all water lines. Then where ever the was an open end on a pipe it was sealed with silicone sealer. This kept everything neat and out of the way and kept water and dirt to a minimum as well as keeping track of what wires went where if repairs were necessary.
    Power from the battery was routed to a separate fuse block and each accessory was given it's own fused circuit. Everything that wasn't a stationary mounted light was provided with quick disconnects similar the the power plug on the back of a CB radio. There were also a few circuits provided with simple power and ground studs so that accessories that had "Alligator" type clips could just be clamped on.
    Another thing we did was also to run an extra set of battery cables from the starting battery up to the accessory battery. We hooked up the hot battery cable to the accessory battery, but left the ground cable disconnected. The ground cable can be connected at any time if the starting battery gets too low to start the motor, or if the accessory battery needs a short boost, but it was mainly done for boosting the starting battery. On your boat, this probably won't be necessary since you only have a 9 horse motor. I did it to my personal boat also, but I carry two HUGE deepcycles up front and two starting batteries in back to fire my 115 hp Evinrude. I have yet to need to make the extra ground wire connection, but it's THERE in case I might ever need it.
    Hope this gives you some ideas. The step by step isn't hard to figure out once you make up your mind what you want. Then once you get THAT done, you'll think of something else you want to do. Have FUN.

3. alopez

alopez New Member

State:
    Utah
    Thanks alot for the tips!! Im quite novice when it comes to this boat stuff since this is my first boat. :big_smile:

4. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I did the same thing about 25 years ago as the above post but I used 12/2 household wiring and not extension chord wire. I ran it from the back of the 16 foot boat, along the sides and up under the front bench seat. I ran it to a circut board (block of wood with 2 brass bolts coming up from it.) Obviously I painted one red and one black. I would hook my trolling motor to it with aligator clips, and even used a black light one time clipped the same way too.
    This was just a deep cycle marine battery and was never hooked to anything else. This was on a 16' V-bottom. I sat the battery in the back and hooked up the wires to the terminal from there. This way the battery was out of the way from my feet in the front of the boat.
    Hope this tip helps. Let us know how your project turns out.